SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS vs. UNO Mavericks - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

13 hours ago, Cratter said:

This is the toughest team UND has faced all season besides @ SCSU. 

I couldn't disagree more. Outside of Ortega and Guentzel I couldn't name a player on their team that looked average. Brady looked like he didn't know how to skate. Their defensemen were all bad. Guentzel is good but he should be playing for the Gophers with how much he whines. Ortega is just really good. Not much more you can say about him. Outside of Huntsville, I think Omaha is the worst team we've played since Wisconsin.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I couldn't disagree more. Outside of Ortega and Guentzel I couldn't name a player on their team that looked average. Brady looked like he didn't know how to skate. Their defensemen were all bad. Guentzel is good but he should be playing for the Gophers with how much he whines. Ortega is just really good. Not much more you can say about him. Outside of Huntsville, I think Omaha is the worst team we've played since Wisconsin.

Given that this team has won 20 games and lost 2 of their 3 losses against the teams you identify as the worst (outside Huntsville), together with the fact that UNO is 3rd in the pairwise rankings, it's hard to find a shred of objective support for that statement. 

• Upvote 1

I will say I forgot about us playing Michigan St. However, I don't think Omaha compares well to Duluth, St. Cloud, Miami, or Denver. Omaha has nothing outside of Guentzel and Ortega. Omaha has outshot their opponents 9 times in 21 games and two of those were against Arizona State. Wisconsin is objectively bad and nothing else needs to be said about them. Omaha was swept by Western Michigan. They were outplayed by Ohio State in both of their games against them. They were outplayed by Duluth in both of their games against them. And going off of what I saw yesterday, Guentzel and Ortega are their only good players. Granted those two are very good and whoever is the third guy on that line adds up to being as good as CBS, they were still extremely underwhelming from what I saw. Their goals yesterday can be tied more to UND making huge mistakes than anything special any of their players did. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Omaha finished 6th or 7th in the conference.

13 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I will say I forgot about us playing Michigan St. However, I don't think Omaha compares well to Duluth, St. Cloud, Miami, or Denver. Omaha has nothing outside of Guentzel and Ortega. Omaha has outshot their opponents 9 times in 21 games and two of those were against Arizona State. Wisconsin is objectively bad and nothing else needs to be said about them. Omaha was swept by Western Michigan. They were outplayed by Ohio State in both of their games against them. They were outplayed by Duluth in both of their games against them. And going off of what I saw yesterday, Guentzel and Ortega are their only good players. Granted those two are very good and whoever is the third guy on that line adds up to being as good as CBS, they were still extremely underwhelming from what I saw. Their goals yesterday can be tied more to UND making huge mistakes than anything special any of their players did. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Omaha finished 6th or 7th in the conference.

I hope you are right.  I realize the boys had an off night last night, but I thought UNO skated with us and beat us to a ton of pucks.  Whether that is speed or hustle or just a good game plan, I don't know, but they have the look of a team that could cause trouble in late March. 

But if they can fall from 3 to 14 or 15 in the pairwise, I'll be happy.  I just don't expect it.

I don't think they are terrible and they have one of the best top lines in the country. They were pretty solid when they were in the offensive zone. But I thought they struggled moving the puck up ice and playing in their defensive zone. Schmaltz and Stecher seemed to be able to go around them whenever they wanted. Maybe their top goalie is a stud. He's had to be for them to be where they are. 

i would put ourselves, Duluth, SCSU, and Denver in a class above Omaha. Then Omaha in a class with Miami and WMU.