SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Final Five

Sioux fan since '90

I heard next year the WCHA Final Five will be played in the town that wins the regular season in the WCHA instead of at the Xcel energy center like this year.

Is this true, or is this just a rumor?

It would be nice to see the Final Five move to the arena the winning team plays. This will also distribute the money to go to other areas instead of the gophers getting the home ice advantage all the time. O.K., I know it technically is away for them, but let's face it, after all it is in Minneapolis, and not far from Marriucci.

GO SIOUX!

Highly unlikely

Think about it...Xcel holds 18,000

What happens if UMD wins it? DECC holds 5,333

What happens if Mankato or Mich Tech wins? Their arenas hold less than 5,000

Think about it...There are 7 teams within a small driving distance to the X (The 4 MN teams, ND, Wisc and even Mich Tech).....Lets say AA wins, then you got to figure out how to get 5 teams to Alaska.

Never happen..The WCHA probably has some rule that if you want to host the Final 5, you must have X amt of seats.

You really aren't serious are you?

Lets say MSU-Mankato wins the league in a year or two...I'm sure the WCHA would love to have the Final Five at the beautiful Midwest Wireless Center with 5000 seats instead of the Xcel or other NHL arena with 18000 seats.

You heard wrong. Bruce McCloud (the commish) spoke during the Gophers game today and said it's at the Xcel for two more years. The Xcel wants to lock it up long term, but the WCHA is riding a popularity high right now. I'm sure they'll sign a long term deal at some point.

The X is the best place to have it. It's not as much a home ice advantage for the Gophers than you seem to think. The Gophers play on Olympic ice...the X is an NHL size sheet. The higher seed team still gets last change...another big advantage.

Xcel seats 18,000...is centrally located to most WCHA teams...and is in a city, much more to do than towns like Grand Forks, and Mankato