SiouxSports.com Forum

New Conference for UND?

Football_Feever

With all the teams leaving the NCC are we going to see a super conference with the NSIC joining the NCC? I know there are some bad teams in the NSIC like Crookston, but there are some pretty talented teams like Winona & Concordia- St. Paul. Those teams are talented and have great athletes like Chris Samp from Winona who made that UND DB #25 look silly.

The NSIC, to the best of my knowledge and resources, is not looking to merger with the NCC. The only way I'd think you'd see the two conference mold together is if:

A) The NCC picks off the top teams to helps sure up the league.

B) The NCC falls apart, and the NSIC picks up the remaining teams.

Of course this is IMHO.

Those teams are talented and have great athletes like Chris Samp from Winona who made that UND DB #25 look silly.

Craig Riendeau certainly didn't have one of his better games that day, but he has a national championship ring and was named to three different all-america teams so I think we'll forgive him. :D

In the interest of fairness, here's the box score from the game in question. It looks like if anybody was made to look silly that day, it would have been the Winona db's since UND quarterback Kelby Klosterman was 27-32 for 341 yards and 5 td's!

According to Mike Marcil the NCC is looking for one other school. The probable ones are winona, northern state, wayne state, and I keep hearing the names of Univ of Mary and St Thomas Univ. The NCC wants to get back to 8 schools. There are not enough d2 schools around here that can fund 36 fb scholarships for the ncc to get back to 10 schools for awhile. Also, the NCC doesn't want to weaken the Northern Sun by taking 3 schools from bc it is in our advantage to have another decent conference near us. If I was betting I would bet on Wayne State bc I know awhile back they did unsuccessfully apply to the league and they give out the most fb scholarships of all the above schools (22). But make no mistake about it the ncc is after an 8th team and will get one in the next year or 2.

Another positive for the NCC pulling in Wayne State would be that they would be a natural travel partner for UNO, that would help bring the conference a bit closer to the Mavs (possibly enticing them to stick around should UM-Rolla leave the MIAA).

St Thomas has the benift of the Twin Cities market (as does Concordia, St Paul, for that matter).

Northern isn't that far from other NCC teams, so it would be good move as far as geography. Also their basketball teams are fairly good, and their football team has some talent (Their QB Korrodi, RS-Freshman put up 380 yards on WSU this year).

Winona State is one of the NSIC's top teams in almost every sport. WSU could also become a travel partner for Mankato

I know very little about U of Mary, but I know they rank fairly well in the NAIA Sears Cup every year.

Slightly off topic:

In all the senario's I've been thinking over, I've realized that UND isn't really left with a great travel partner. The best case I can see would be either Mary or Northern.

Anyway, I think their are some interesting options for the NCC, it will be interesting to see what they choose to do.

While there are two listed DB's using number 25 from 2001, I feel it's pretty safe to say your talking about Craig Riendeau (He was a senior in '01, the other #25 was a frosh).

No, I think it was a the freshman I saw, because if it was the All American he woul have never looked that bad.

In today's Pioneer Press, Tom Powers column didn't make it sound too postive that St Thomas would be leaving Division III. They surely would be able to afford the scholarships if they did move to Division II.

Tom Powers

Don Roney, football coach at the University of St. Thomas, summed it up nicely:

"Jerks don't come here," he said. "If a guy is a jerk, he's not going to last long. Jerks find their way out of the program."

And that holds true not just at St. Thomas, but also at Bethel, St. John's, Macalester... . all the schools in the Division III Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

The was an article awhile back in Omaha World Herald talking about how UNK at this time just doesn't have the resources to jump up to the NCC. Times are tough down there. I have been there a bunch and while they have a nice arena parts of that campus look really run down.

I hope that it is wayne state but I guess it will be a couple of years before we know. I just hope they don't have to go out of the region and get another UNC. I like regional rivalries.

the schools that are the most likely to join the ncc making it an 8 team league in the next 2 or 3 years are

1. Northern State

2. Winona St

3. Wayne ST

4. SW STate

5. Univ of Mary

6. St Thomas of Mn

MIke Marcil said it takes some time to get an 8th school but those schools seem like the most logical choices. This is an educated guess but I ranked them in order of the most to least probable. Being a NE-Omaha I really hope it is Wayne STate but any of those schools will be fine. I know the people of fargo and brookings think those schools will be a step down but once they increase their funding up to ncc levels any of those schools will compete well in the ncc. The one thing I hope the league doesn't do is go out of the region for an 8th school like they did with UNC.