SiouxSports.com Forum

Harry Agganis Arena

lawkota

This story appeared on USCHO yesterday on BU's new arena, set to open the middle of next year.

BU Shows Off Harry Agganis Area

There are some nice remarks in there regarding REA and I thought Jack Parker was very pointed in his remarks about the arenas at DU and CC. But it is this section that led me to start this thread:

Smokowski said that the $225-million facility was influenced by many other arenas. Citing The Boston Garden and Mariucci Arena at the University of Minnesota, Smokowski said, "We loved the intimacy of the seating. The fans are right on top of the action." He also acknowledged liking Engelstad but that such a facility was beyond their budget.

Can't afford something that cost half as much? ???

It's impossible to compare costs for a number of reasons. One, building in Boston is alot different that building in GF. Two, we don't know how much of that $225 went into land purchase and site prep - two items where REA got off cheap. But I think it points out what a bargain Ralph got for his $110 million - the country's best hockey arena built on a fast track timetable in an area of the country not the most hospitable to year round construction.

Edit - My brother pointed out to me that the USCHO article is misleading because the $225 million is for the entire student village which includes a student activity facilities and residence hall(s). So the point of my entire post is lost but I can't delete it. Admin??

That is going to be a loud place. Anyone know what they average for fans? 6000 seems small, but boy are those fans on top of the ice. That place should be LOUD!

Yet another new arena for college hockey. What a boom that has happened since Marriuci about 10 years ago. Lots of rinks in the past five. UND, Omaha, Mankato, DU, CC, and now BU, UMD, and some other eastern school. Any others?

• 3 weeks later...

I had the fortune of inadvertantly sitting right next to Mike Euzione at a local BU hangout (T's Pub) before a BU game last season. We spoke for about 3 minutes (tops), but when I mentioned I was from North Dakota, we started comparing arenas. Mike (who is on the BU arena committee) said that a big consideration for their plans was making sure they had an arena at BU where the fans seemed to be on top of the players for the intimidation factor. He said that he had visited REA in his tour of arenas, and that they wanted to have a lower ceiling and more fans closer to the ice to make sure the home ice/sound factor helped the home team. He obviously had many complimentary things to say about UND hockey fans in general and REA, but I think he thinks the bigger rink sort of takes away from the intimidation factor for home ice advantage. He finished by saying that, after BU's new arena is finished, North Dakota would have the best arena in the West, and BU the best arena in the East -- without saying which one he thought would be best overall.... (Of course, I drilled him on .... "Will there be leather seats?" "No." "Marble floors?" "No." "TV's in the bathrooms?" etc., etc.) It was fun meeting him.

He finished by saying that, after BU's new arena is finished, North Dakota would have the best arena in the West, and BU the best arena in the East -- without saying which one he thought would be best overall.... (Of course, I drilled him on .... "Will there be leather seats?" "No." "Marble floors?" "No." "TV's in the bathrooms?" etc., etc.) It was fun meeting him.

He did not say which one is better because he know the REA is better...

Yes, I think he's publicly said as much in interviews and his Top 5 lists of college arenas and so forth.

I am looking forward to seeing BU's new arena next fall to see first-hand how intimidating it will be to opposing teams. Chris Bourque (Ray's son) will be playing for the Terriers next season so it should add to the excitement level there.

Nothing compares to seeing the Sioux at home, though.

EDIT: I guess the arena might not be ready until January '05??