SiouxSports.com Forum

Article from 2/27 Dakota Student

SiouxperDave

They make the trips. Those season seats are held by big spenders (some to more than some are anyway) and people who share tickets and only get to the Forks on occasion. It is DEFINATELY more "trendy/spendy" than the old ralph.

I don't doubt that. I do doubt that there are enough of them to have a significant impact on atmosphere.

Contrary to popular belief, it IS possible to cheer and get fans riled up without using vulgar language.

Exactly. Also, as has been pointed out in other threads, when you buy a ticket, you agree to abide by the policies of the arena, which are listed on the back of each ticket and read by the PA announcer before the start of every game. The policy against the use of profane language has existed for years. It's not as if it was just created out of thin air.

PCM: it doesn't take many with money to get their grundies in a bunch to affect changes.

Mafia: I also agree, profanity isn't needed to get the team fired up. But what bugs me about all these arenas is trying to get the student section to act like catholic school girls visiting the Vatican. Cheering doesn't need swearing, but what is wrong with the student section(s) in arenas standing and making noise!??!

WPoS

From a Sioux hockey fan from the early 1960's I totally agree that the new arena is not near as much fun as the old Engelstad. Most of you do not remember the "barn" which was the Sioux home before the first Engelstad, it was not even heated for the fans, however the atmosphere from the small rink was so intimidating to our opponents it was unreal. If there was a problem with fans at the Alerus center with Sioux football then deal with that venue. I totally agree with Ms Triske"s article, the atmosphere lately sucks, or should I say the lack of atmospher. Zach Parise may have said it best- This is not a museum it is a hockey rink!!! Get real Mr. Kupchella and Mr. Roger Thomas.

Hopefully it will change with meetings and everything else, but right now the problem isn't that students aren't allowed stand or aren't allowed to swear, it is that they feel they aren't allowed to have fun. Never is there a letter that is totally complimentary of students. They are never told they are doing something right with a but being attatched. The only feedback they get is when they are doing something wrong. There is nothing wrong with getting negative feedback when you do something wrong, but when it is the only feedback you get, it kinda sucks.

WPoS,

Hey, if Catholic schoolgirls all looked like Britney Spears in her video a few years ago...wait...sorry...where was I going with that? Nevermind...I got off-track with my thoughts there for a second. :glare:

I'm not advocating students sitting down or stopping cheering altogether. However, I took a date a number of years ago along with my best friend and his girlfriend for their first-ever trip to UND. They were absolutely mortified at the student chants and all three agreed it was the worst behavior they'd seen at any sporting event. Instead of showing them how cool UND hockey was, they all left with a bad impression.

That being said, it's definitely not just a UND issue. Look at the rest of the country, especially college football (players punching and elbowing fans rushing the field) and college basketball (teams with 1-15 records knocking off a conference leader and thousands of fans storming the court) where there are bigger issues to tackle. I just think the issue of fans is being blown out of proportion by both sides. No one wants REA to become the new library on campus but at the same time, no one wants to see an arena where three year olds yell out swear words with the saltiest of fans either.

PCM: it doesn't take many with money to get their grundies in a bunch to affect changes.

Really? So because they have ten times more money than the average person, they're ten times more quiet and they actually subtract noise from other fans? Someone should do a study on that.

Really? So because they have ten times more money than the average person, they're ten times more quiet and they actually subtract noise from other fans? Someone should do a study on that.

no, but what I am trying to say is this: money talks and if people with big money make comments (and contributions) to a program they will get listend too more so than average joe hockey fan that drives a '93 Sunbird. What I have noticed at Mariucci since the first season is that the students are less cohesive and are "controlled" more so than in the old arena. Mostly IMO because the people that sit in the "M"'s don't like to hear stuff. Now about the worst cheer we have is the WPoS chant for penalties. That worst word being "!@$!". Now a few years back the band was banned from doing the drum line that leads up to that because the corpies (fans and sponsors) didn't like that word. So they controlled the band and thus TRIED to control the student sections. Thankfully we continued anyway and that old tradition didn't go the way of the do-do. What I see is the money talking and takign the fun out of being exhuberant in the student section. That can include trying to control cheers (dropping f-bombs and such isn't cool), and generally trying to make it as PC as possible. What do you think most taunts are for? They are to demoralize/anger the opponent/fire up the team! Money will and can control that part of the fan base, more so than one would think.

As for subtracting noise, well when the majority of the fans are NOT students it sure can kill the noise level if they do NOT participate (even in "clean" chants/cheers). And thus kills the cheer/chant (kinda a subtraction, or maybe a fun vacuum?).

WPoS

Money will and can control that part of the fan base, more so than one would think.

I understand your point, but I reject your argument -- at least as it applies to the REA. I've never been to a game in the Mariucci, so I won't pretend to know what what drives or dampens the atmosphere there.

No Sioux fans are being told not to cheer or not to make noise. Nobody is being told that they can never stand up and cheer.

And yet this issue is always framed in terms of "If we can't stand for the entire game, we can't be loud" or "If we can't do profane cheers, we can't cheer at all."

That's just bull. Anyone who looks at the issue with the least bit objectivity and common sense knows it.

What people are being asked to do is engage in common courtesy (i.e. don't block the view of someone who bought a ticket to see the game) and observe minimal standards of public behavior (i.e. don't shout profanities at the top of your lungs).

It isn't the least bit unreasonable to ask all Sioux fans to observe a few simple rules that we supposedly learned in kindergarten.

The unreasonable people are those who insist that they should be able to act as if they're the only people in the building. They seem to believe that their right to have fun or raise hell in any manner they choose automatically trumps everyone elses' right to see and enjoy the game.

Well, sorry, it doesn't.

:glare: And I thought I was confused by the post last night. Can you help me on this one SFiP?

She's a lot easier to understand than NDH, for sure. :p

It sounds like she's willing to put up with any & all inconveniences as long as she & her husband can still see hockey games. No matter the stipulation or price. In other words, don't question, just follow. She could probably give you a better explanation.

I don't have the same temperament. Although I'm only 36, I never thought I'd see the day when they would start regulating fan behavior above & beyond what's necessary at sporting events. Sports is one of the last remaining outlets in which men can express themselves & their passions in a communal setting without recrimination.

I can't stand & yell, "That's a bunch of B.S.!" at:

work or I'll get fired;

church because that's not the time or place;

home because my wife will call the police & I'll be booked for spousal abuse.

the grocery store because I'll be asked to leave or get arrested for disorderly conduct.

my in-laws or they'll take me out of their will.

My point is that men have so many societal checks on their behavior & that sports is one of the last places they can express themselves without someone watching every word they say. How would we feel if we were told that we had to act at a sporting event just like we act at work? It wouldn't be fun anymore because the sport we were attending would seem just like work. "Here are the things you can say." "Here are the times you can say them." "Here are the times you can stand & cheer." "The jumbotron will cue appropriate clapping times which will be between whistles & during t.v. timeouts." Oy vay.

Sports is one of the greatest release valves for a man's mental health (better than sex, imo) & to put that release valve in control of an administration who's 30, 40 years past their prime college days is pure folly. Someone here asked a while back that to imitate what the Farce did, i.o.w. use their creative expressions in lieu of vulgarity & swearing, would be a great idea. What happened to the Farce anyway? Were they disbanded because they ran out of creative ideas or because the administration got fed up because they weren't following status quo? I think it was the latter. If so, shows you how much the administration valued creative ideas from probably the most comical, ingenious student group ever. If Farce Poobah reads this maybe he can shed some light on it.

If men are forced to act like puppets or mimes at sporting events, their aggressions may be be released in other areas of their lives & maybe in less healthy manners.

(NOTE: I'm not advocating anarchy & chaos at sporting events)