SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of NCC

updm002

I have heard from various sources that Mo Rolla and Truman State both want out of the MIAA bc they don't compete well. I know that Rolla and TSU recently applied to the GLVC (which is bb only) and I am not sure what they are going to do with fb. Maybe be a D2 independent? Then I read elsewhere that Rolla is considering the NAIA. Also, have heard Central Mo St Univ is considering going D1. That would leave the MIAA in the same precarious position that the NCC is in with only 7 schools. What about a merger of some sort between those 2 leagues with 14 teams most of which are pretty darn goo?. Or at least work out some sort of scheduling arrangement the way that the NCC is working out one with those Pacific NW schools. Only doing it with the MIAA makes a lot more sense geographically.

There are "rumors" around MSP that St. Thomas is being courted to join the NCC and go to D2, and possibly D1 in hockey. The school's growth has been huge, on both sides of the river, and there is an undercurrent of support for "bigger things" in athletics as well. As well, it's probably one of the best fundraisers around, so money probably wouldn't be much of an issue if they do move up.

Although I know that the NCC is very anxious for a presence in the Twin Cities, I'm a little wary of private schools, particularly those in large metro areas where they tend to get lost in the shuffle of larger schools and pro sports. For one thing, like Augie, neither St. Thomas nor Concordia-SP draw well at all for football. St. Thomas averaged just under 3000, while Concordia was significantly less than that. Perhaps playing at a higher level would help somewhat, but probably not too much.

I also think it's just very difficult for private schools to compete well in football (at least at the division II level in the midwest) on a year-in, year-out basis because with tuition that is so much higher than public schools, it's very difficult to make 36 scholarships (assuming they even fund that many) go very far. At Augie, for example, I believe they offer mostly full scholarships, leaving them with very little depth and susceptible to having a few up years and many down years. I can see the same thing happening at St. Thomas and/or Concordia-SP, if they were to join the NCC.

I know that Rolla and TSU recently applied to the GLVC (which is bb only) and I am not sure what they are going to do with fb. Maybe be a D2 independent?

The rumor I heard (only one source, and I have no idea on reliablity) the GLVC might be starting a football conference (w/ St Joseph's, UIU). I have no idea if this holds water.

there was an article in the st cloud times about st thomas and a possible move to dII (ncc) and dI hockey. at that time ust said the are not moving up as of yet due to the rivalrys the have in the miac. if the wanted to move up they would not have a problem fielding 36 football scholarships due to wealthy alumni and booster that do give heaps of money to minnesotas largest private university. this attitude of giving is drilled in thier heads from the moment they step on campus. 9000 students i believe. would they be a good fit, absolutley.

as far as streching the ncc territory, i dont know if i like that. yes there are quality teams in the miaa but frankly i don't think most of the ncc wants of needs the extra travel time and expense. if the miaa is losing a few teams maybe uno should look at the miaa. uno is a great school with good programs but again it is many, many miles away. there are quality schools minnesota that can fill the void. of course, my opinion is coming from central minnesota and not omaha. if UND and usd move up i could see all minnesota schools and augie in a conference. would it be a lower level of competition than the old ncc? overall i would say yes. but i don't care. the old rivalrys would be renewed and life would go on. how about campared to next years ncc? not really. the nsic is on the rise as a whole but umc has to go.