SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Top 50

diggerdan

The nominees who weren't selected were:

Ed Belfour

Ben Cherski

John Marks

Doug Smail

I agree that Smail should have been selected.  He was one of my favorites.  A bigger disappointment though was the fact that Panzer wasn't even nominated.

Taylor & Smail together were magic.  How many times during a season did the fans have the treat of seeing the two of them breaking in all alone on goal, passing back and forth three or four times before burrying the puck?  That was the best!

I guess I'm saying that UND should have had some representation from the '80 era, but when they are only picking 50 players, this always happens.

Don't be too harsh on the league. They had the current 10 teams plus the past members to pick just 50 guys from. Of course there are some missed.

I could ask each of you to create your Sioux 20 man all-time roster and I could find fault and missed players on each. It's just the way it is.

Thanks PHE, that explains Taylor.  The nomination of Belfour kind of surprises me, since he only played the one year and its not like he carried that team.  

Not trying to be harsh Sicatoka, I realize the selection process was difficult.  Just throwing out some fodder for discussion.

• 3 weeks later...

As a kid I saw Ben Cherski play. He still holds the career goal record at UND and he played in the early '50's! In the last 50 years no one has caught him! He ranks in a small group as one of the best forwards to play at Siouxville along with Hrkac, Greg Johnson, Steve Johnson, Smail, Reichart and a handful of others.  Should he have been included in the WCHA top 50?  Absolutely!  How do you keep your #1 goal scorer off that list?