SiouxSports.com Forum

Parallels to '98 - '99?

SiouxMeNow

Hate to crack on the Sioux but I have a VERY funny feeling back to the '98 - '99 seasons (IE The Jason Blake Years) When we were SO loaded we thought there was no way we could lose, but we did, because there WAS an "I" in team. The national champs of '97 and '00 won because they played as a team - and individuals didn't matter! I think, whether they sense it or not, there are too many "I"'s and a lack of solid consistent goaltending on this team...thoughts???

Or we could compare this season to the 99-00 team that got swept in Wisco late in the season, played well for the rest of the WCHA season, beat Wisco in the WCHA Final 5 Championship, and then went on to win the Natl Championship.

I like that comparison a little better. :D

I'm not giving up on this Sioux team yet, no way. We'll see how they rebound this weekend with CC. If they play well against CC, and do well against Mankato, they could go into the DECC with some confidence and with a winning attitude.

Go Sioux!

That was a different Wisconsin. Great Goalie Reinprecht, Heatley and the Sioux outplayed and lost on two late OT faceoffs... Not the same deal in Madison. I think the Sioux don't have a goalie that can handle the pressure like Karl could.

I think there is too much pressure on the goalie. I think that other players can make mistakes and not take the heat that the Sioux Goalies take. I feel bad for them. I think Jordan Parise has had a great year and he deserves support. I think I like the way Lucia does his goalies. He tells one that they are #1 and sticks with em.

I think Karl was extraordinary he was extremly mentally tough. I think Jordan Parise is mentally tough too! I think the Sioux need to decide who is # 1 and quit yanking there goalies strings and stripping their confidence. I remember listening to Karl get ripped on the Sioux network at a game he played against New Hampshire. I think some days even the great goalies have a bad game. I have seen Hasek, Belfour, Patrick Roy, Mike Richter all have a bad game. Let's understand that goalie is like pitching in baseball. If it is not your day forget it and get ready for the next one.

Good Luck Sioux. Let's get behind our team and our goalie. These guys are good enough and strong enough but we all need to be behind them helping them.

Let's Go Sioux!!!!

I agree, JN. The goaltending has been good all year, one bad weekend should not be the norm for the rest of the year. Also, it's time to pick a goalie to make the post season run. It's getting late in the year to be undecided.

Our goalie situation would be better if the guys upfront did their jobs more effectively. We have a boatload of talent, but it's the intangibles that require alot of work at this stage of the season, e.g., playing not to lose rather than winning, clock watching, lack of leadership, gripping sticks too tightly, mental breakdowns, etc.

A major sweep (3-4 pt spreads) of CC would be a good start, and a good confidence boost for everybody.

Point being they were a VERY good team (league-wise) that DIDN'T have the chemistry needed to win a National Championship - and went out in a shocker in the regional to a so-so Michigan team....sh*t happens but you could sense it with that team and I hate to say it I sense it with this team too. The big tipper for me is the power play - why can't we SCORE with all those guns!?!

Point being they were a VERY good team (league-wise) that DIDN'T have the chemistry needed to win a National Championship - and went out in a shocker in the regional to a so-so Michigan team....sh*t happens but you could sense it with that team and I hate to say it I sense it with this team too.  The big tipper for me is the power play - why can't we SCORE with all those guns!?!

That was the 97-98 season you're thinking of. Also Michigan wasn't so-so considering they did win the NC that year.

The 98-99 season ended in an upset loss to BC in the regionals. :)