SiouxSports.com Forum

Jaron Nash story in USA Today

SiouxVolley

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/02/13/jaron-and-jerry-nash-basketball-bond/1918117/

The NCAA is beyond disgusting: a total monster. Changing the transfer rules to within 100 miles of home to stop one player from transferring after receiving the transfer request.

Hope next year is a dream season for Jaron and his father.

Jaron transferred after one season in Lubbock to be closer to his father, but Gillispie's resignation in September brought to light what the university called "disappointing discoveries" in addition to NCAA violations related to practice time.

Jaron is reluctant to relive his time at Texas Tech, saying only that players were "torn down a lot." He considered transferring mid-season, but finished the spring semester. He was one of six players to transfer.

Still, it was not the environment under Gillespie that drove him to transfer, Jaron says. He liked his teammates and would have preferred to stay at a program in a power conference instead of moving to one in its first full year of Division I play.

"If my dad's health was good, I could have put up with that," Jaron said. "But with trying to put up with that, with coach Gillispie, and with my dad's health, it was pretty stressful."

He looked for schools close to home. Northern Iowa, a 10-minute drive from his house, did not offer him a scholarship. He contacted nine schools in the region before he finally returned a call from North Dakota. It was his last option.

"Believe me, he tried (to get closer to home)," said UND coach Brian Jones. "We can be upset — you were the 10th, 11th school — we're not, because we know him."

Coaches at North Dakota didn't see Jaron as a risk because they knew his background. Assistant coach Dean Oliver, who primarily recruited Jaron, played against his uncle and played for the same AAU coach as Jaron. He was a player at Iowa when Jones was on the staff with Walker, Jerry's former college coach.

http://www.usatoday....l-bond/1918117/

The NCAA is beyond disgusting: a total monster. Changing the transfer rules to within 100 miles of home to stop one player from transferring after receiving the transfer request.

Hope next year is a dream season for Jaron and his father.

Very good article!

Did we know that his grades suffered and he wouldn't have been eligible to play this semester - if the NCAA would have approved his eligibility for this year?

It said he would be eligible for his Sr. season. He will have two year of eligibility left, correct?

Very good article!

Did we know that his grades suffered and he wouldn't have been eligible to play this semester - if the NCAA would have approved his eligibility for this year?

It said he would be eligible for his Sr. season. He will have two year of eligibility left, correct?

I spoke with him after one of the games and he has only 1 year left. He is trying to get a 6th year thru the NCAA so he would have 2 left but we all know how things go for us against the NCAA.

I spoke with him after one of the games and he has only 1 year left. He is trying to get a 6th year thru the NCAA so he would have 2 left but we all know how things go for us against the NCAA.

I have been meaning to ask you (or anyone else) if you have seen Nash practice. If so, what are your thoughts about how much he will help us next year? Same question as it relates to Salmonson, Hobaugh and Blake?

I have been meaning to ask you (or anyone else) if you have seen Nash practice. If so, what are your thoughts about how much he will help us next year? Same question as it relates to Salmonson, Hobaugh and Blake?

From what I heard Nash is off the charts athletic kinda like Huff. Based on looking at his stats from prior colleges he does not shoot very well from outside or the FT line but his athleticism should help a lot around the rim. With all the guards we have returning next year and mostly seniors I don't see Hobaugh or Blake doing much as they are walk-ons. Salmonson has a nice frame to his height and should provide backup to Brekke. We should be very solid 10 deep next year with a ton of experience. What will be interesting next year is do they red shirt Hooker with all the senior guards we will have.

From what I heard Nash is off the charts athletic kinda like Huff. Based on looking at his stats from prior colleges he does not shoot very well from outside or the FT line but his athleticism should help a lot around the rim. With all the guards we have returning next year and mostly seniors I don't see Hobaugh or Blake doing much as they are walk-ons. Salmonson has a nice frame to his height and should provide backup to Brekke. We should be very solid 10 deep next year with a ton of experience. What will be interesting next year is do they red shirt Hooker with all the senior guards we will have.

This is an excellent question. It sounds like this kid is a very special player, and probably a bit of coup that North Dakota got him. But how many minutes are going to be available to him with seniors Webb, Anderson, Huff, and Schuler on the floor next year? I think I am hoping he redshirts and becomes the next Will Cherry of the Big Sky.

This is an excellent question. It sounds like this kid is a very special player, and probably a bit of coup that North Dakota got him. But how many minutes are going to be available to him with seniors Webb, Anderson, Huff, and Schuler on the floor next year? I think I am hoping he redshirts and becomes the next Will Cherry of the Big Sky.

I can see it both ways: redshirt him to 'save' his eligibility for after next year's seniors are gone. But next years seniors are a good group, and Hooker deserves a chance to play with them. It seems like you can't have a bench too deep.