SiouxSports.com Forum

Economic development

jimdahl

Does this make them makers or takers? Look more like they are the takers Romney and the GOP are talking about. What became of this free market they talk about?

Can you leave the party politics out of this (as per forum rules) please?

As to free markets... what could be more free than a company which provides economic value to its home region asking regions to bid to become home to its latest factory? Though I don't think "free markets" is quite the right attack, your aversion isn't surprising. The thing I thought was interesting about this chart is that in previous discussions on this forum we have speculated that N.D. is particularly averse to providing such incentives. The chart seems to bear that out.

Can you leave the party politics out of this (as per forum rules) please?

As to free markets... what could be more free than a company which provides economic value to its home region asking regions to bid to become home to its latest factory? Though I don't think "free markets" is quite the right attack, your aversion isn't surprising. The thing I thought was interesting about this chart is that in previous discussions on this forum we have speculated that N.D. is particularly averse to providing such incentives. The chart seems to bear that out.

How are people suppose to respond to your link? Anyone who pays attention to more than sports would respond the same way that I did. As for your comment North Dakota is averse to providing incentives re-read your link or contact Greg Hoover and get a copy of how much money GF has gven away and never were paid back. ND plays the same game as everyone else does.

How are people suppose to respond to your link? Anyone who pays attention to more than sports would respond the same way that I did. As for your comment North Dakota is averse to providing incentives re-read your link or contact Greg Hoover and get a copy of how much money GF has gven away and never were paid back. ND plays the same game as everyone else does.

It appears this only includes state $$ and not all of the incentives paid by individual cities/counties. The number would be much larger if that were the case. In fact, it doesn't even appear to include all the state $$, as I don't see anything regarding the Centers of Excellence (Centers of Mediocrity). Those are quite the state government boondoggle, with only a couple of them actually becoming self-supporting.

It appears this only includes state $$ and not all of the incentives paid by individual cities/counties. The number would be much larger if that were the case.

Good point, there are no local property tax abatements or such in that data. This data only shows that ND as a state seems to spend a lot less on subsidies than other states, but it's certainly possible that far more subsidies occur at the local level in ND for some reason (though I'd be a little surprised).

Good point, there are no local property tax abatements or such in that data. This data only shows that ND as a state seems to spend a lot less on subsidies than other states, but it's certainly possible that far more subsidies occur at the local level in ND for some reason (though I'd be a little surprised).

They also have a much smaller population. Now if compare dollars to population ND would be right there also. Though there are numerous industries that need what ND can not provide that keeps ND out of the bidding. How much did GF give United to provide service to Denver and how is that working out?

• 6 months later...

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but the ND economy is doing quite well (for those of you who are living under a rock and don't already know).

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/266398/

Revenue streaming into North Dakota’s general fund has surpassed the state’s forecast by $1.6 billion with one month left to go in the two-year budget cycle, state Budget Director Pam Sharp reported Tuesday

Sharp presented figures to the Legislature’s interim Budget Section showing that revenue for the current biennium totaled $4.95 billion through May. That’s up 48 percent from the legislative forecast released by the Office of Management and Budget in April 2011.

The state began the current two-year budget cycle with a general fund balance of $1.1 billion.

Actual revenues collected through May totaled $4.95 billion, and an estimated $172.9 million is expected to be collected in June, which when added to the starting balance will lift total revenues to $6.2 billion.

State lawmakers approved nearly $4.4 billion in spending and carryover, which will bring the balance down to about $1.85 billion. After $181 million is transferred to the budget stabilization fund, the general fund will have an estimated surplus of $1.66 billion by June 30, the end of the current biennium.

Also, those numbers don't appear to include the $$ stashed away in multiple reserve funds.

• Upvote 1