SiouxSports.com Forum

Augustana

UND92,96

Simple.

They lost to cross town rival USF (they went 9-2, a big surprise in the NSIC), got blown out at home to Winona (lost 73-35) and nearly fell to doormat SMSU if they didn't miss a field goal at the buzzer(one day the Mustangs will be good at football)

They feel they don't want to become the "2nd" Sioux Falls school

There might be a lot of interest in this job, the coach that was fired was doing a really good job in bringing in recruits and doing quite well in the cities. Of course being that you are at a private school as Augie is you have the tough academic requirements as well. Also not helping is the fact that the NSIC South is a grind with Mankato, Wayne, and Winona consistenly being at the top, now you throw USF in there it might be hard for Augie to compete. Even SMSU and C-SP will give teams fits every now and then. Its not like you get U-Mary and Minot state every year like the teams do in the North. To show how tough it was this year. Mankato and Duluth made the playoffs and Winona made the Mineral Bowl at 9-2. USF, also at 9-2, was left out of the D-II playoffs altogether.

If that coach had a 22-13 record at SMSU, he would have a statue in front of the new REC. :D

One rather interesting name has been thrown around already as the next Augie head coach--Kalen DeBoer. It would be somewhat shocking given the rivalry between Augie and USF, but it may not be all that far-fetched, either.

That would bring up the Augie-USF rivarly another 10 knotches. However, I would think that he would start setting his sight up higher in a few years once he gets a little success at SIU. Nothing would surprised me at this point what they decide to do to fill that job.

If that coach had a 22-13 record at SMSU, he would have a statue in front of the new REC. :D

I have never figured out the SMSU problem with football. I remember 5 or 6 years ago they lost to Moorhead at a time when the Dragons hadn't won a game in like 2 years. It's not like SMSU has no commitment to athletics, they made a heck of a run in the D2 basketball tourney a few years ago and I was at the basketball game in Marshall when SMSU beat Jones.

One would think there would be plenty of D2 caliber kids to pick from in that area.

I have never figured out the SMSU problem with football. I remember 5 or 6 years ago they lost to Moorhead at a time when the Dragons hadn't won a game in like 2 years. It's not like SMSU has no commitment to athletics, they made a heck of a run in the D2 basketball tourney a few years ago and I was at the basketball game in Marshall when SMSU beat Jones.

One would think there would be plenty of D2 caliber kids to pick from in that area.

That is the one thing that I have never understood why Sauter hasn't quite locked down SW Minnesota for football, especially Marshall (now that the HS team is becoming more and more respectable). He does a good job in getting kids in the outstate, and raiding the Sioux Falls Metro for the ones who don't go to Augie or USF. I think he lets a few too many local kids, who could be difference makers, slip through the cracks. However, I think he will be the guy that gets the job done in the long run. They haven't had much success since they were in NAIA and Meierkort was running the D. The biggest excuse I always heard was that Matke was not up to NSIC standards, it was old. Now they have the newer REC (since 2008), which is right up there stadium wise in the NSIC.

The Volleyball and MBB teams have the right forumla where they raid the cities, but they lock down a lot of local kids. They also have two coaches in Culhane and Bigler who understand the area and can get those players. The bball team should be exciting as they should compete for a NSIC and Regional title. Of course there will be a lot of people behind Biegler after what happened to him and his family this summer.

I think whoever get the Augie job, like I said in the previous post, is going to walk into a very tough, but good situation. When you have 5 big schools (SF Washington, Roosevelt, Lincoln, O'Gorman, Brandon Valley) within a 15 miles radius of your campus and can pick a lot of good players from these schools, why can't you be good.