SiouxSports.com Forum

Title IX for Academics??

GeauxSioux

I was listening to a guest on a radio station on the way home today and she was talking about the Department of Education implementing Title IX for academics. She said that the DOE official says that the mechanism is already in place and they intend to implement it.

The "problem" is that there are more male than female in the sciences and they want to "even" it out.

Has anyone else heard about this?

I just deleted out my political thoughts on the general direction of this country, as SiouxSports.com is a non-political forum.

Found this piece pretty quick through Google... Title IX And The Trouble With Quotas

Duncan's ignorance -- or dishonesty -- about Title IX were additionally concerning because the AAUW and other feminist outlets would like to see Title IX-like legislation used to tackle disparities in academics, namely the "crisis" of women in math and science. In short, they want Congress to legislate parity in these disciplines, once again ignoring the real and important differences that exist between the genders. (Of course, this is always one-sided. I have yet to see the AAUW argue for more male English or Psychology majors. Nor have I seen any outrage about the shortage of male nurses.)

I was listening to a guest on a radio station on the way home today and she was talking about the Department of Education implementing Title IX for academics. She said that the DOE official says that the mechanism is already in place and they intend to implement it.

The "problem" is that there are more male than female in the sciences and they want to "even" it out.

Has anyone else heard about this?

I just deleted out my political thoughts on the general direction of this country, as SiouxSports.com is a non-political forum.

Hadn't heard this.

No doubt title IX created more opportunities for females to participate in intercolligiate athletics than there would have been without the legislation.