SiouxSports.com Forum

Revenge

cypress

On behalf of the Lakers, just wanted to say I am looking forward to a great game next Saturday. I think most GV fans were hoping to play UND so N. Alabama wouldnt be playing in front of the home fans. 2001 was a classic game but still leaves a bitter taste in our mouths, 30 seconds away from the title and a missed tackle ruined everything. Despite the loss, we were still proud of our guys, we did pretty well considering our WR was playing QB. If Anes would have played we would have cakewalked to the title like last season and be playing for our third straight NC. However, this years team is a lot different than last. We graduated about 95% of our offense and are starting mostly freshman on offense. This was supposed to be a rebuilding season but so far it has been a pretty amazing and unexpected run. I think you guys are in a similar situation.

Anyway, should be a great game. Good luck...but not too much.

Don't be so sure that you would have faired any better with Anes at QB. Your back up QB gave your offense a dimension that it might not have had with Anes. Your back up gained a lot of yards scrambling and running QB draw plays. Had Anes been playing you might not have faired any better that UC - Davis - 2 points scored for the entire game. They had a great QB too. It should be a great game next week. Good Luck.

I Agree about GVS's QBs two years ago. They both did an excellent job. Sioux defense looked a little stunned at times against them. Can't imagine the injured QB would have done any better.

What won the game back then was the UND offense stepping up and making some plays late in the game, when the defense was struggling. If not for the late heroics of the offense, GVS would be trying for their 3rd consecutive.

As for next week, I believe it is going to be a fantastic, fun game. Lots of offense and some defensive plays to boot. Should be another 4th quarter battle. Go Sioux!

Gotta agree. I'm not sure GVSU fans know how good that defense was. They are always saying how Anes would've won the game for them for certain. I don't know about that. Eric Schmidt and Co. could've been knocking Anes around like a punching bag.

Didn't GVSU have to make a comeback like UND did in 2001, last year to beat Valdosta? I'm think that the Lakers were way up, then Valdosta came back and the Lakers had to score at the end to win it.

After the debacle that happened today in DI football, isn't everyone glad the BCS isn't used in D2? Neither UND or GVSU would be playing in this game if the stupid BCS was used.

On behalf of the Lakers, just wanted to say I am looking forward to a great game next Saturday. I think most GV fans were hoping to play UND so N. Alabama wouldnt be playing in front of the home fans. 2001 was a classic game but still leaves a bitter taste in our mouths, 30 seconds away from the title and a missed tackle ruined everything. Despite the loss, we were still proud of our guys, we did pretty well considering our WR was playing QB. If Anes would have played we would have cakewalked to the title like last season and be playing for our third straight NC. However, this years team is a lot different than last. We graduated about 95% of our offense and are starting mostly freshman on offense. This was supposed to be a rebuilding season but so far it has been a pretty amazing and unexpected run. I think you guys are in a similar situation.

Anyway, should be a great game. Good luck...but not too much.

You've come to the wrong place if you think we're going to follow along with the "if Anes would have played GV would have won in 2001" garbage. GV scored over 30 points in both the quarterfinal and semifinal games with the "WR playing QB" and threw for over 500 yards and 6 TDs in those two games. The GV passing game got shut down against UND and the better team won the game.

ok, a win is a win and a loss is a loss. But you cannot tell me that Anes wouldn't have made a difference. Runner-up for the Harlon Hill that year...I think if he would have played it would have made a difference. But he didn't play and we lost so oh well. That is the past and this is now. We all know there will be a good game on Saturday and that is all we should be talking about.

He may not have been. As has been said, having two different qb's kept UND off balance. The two previous games, UND absolutely shutdown Pitt State and Neil Philpot. That was pretty impressive. But then they shutdown UC-Davis and J.T. O'Sullivan. We heard so much about how great he was supposed to be and the Sioux dominated, making big plays when they needed to. Who is to say they couldn't have done it to Anes?

UND shutdown Will Hall rather effectively today and this defense isn't as good as 2001 defense was. Just because you win the Harlon Hill doesn't mean you can't be shutdown by a good defense. It is damn tough to do, but it is possible. If the WR can't get open because the DB are on them like glue and QB can't scramble because the DE are on him before he can even fart, the QB can be shutdown.

I'm not saying GVSU wouldn't have won. But to say that the Lakers certainly would've won if Anes had played, isn't right either. Anes was a very good QB, but he wasn't Michael Vick. Where is Anes playing now? Just wondering.

Did I say that we would have won for sure? If it came off that way I didn't mean it. I believe I said it would have made a difference in the game meaning GV would have probably scored some more points...but if that happened then everything would have changed. And nice smart ass question about where he is playing....watch for him in the future he throws a really good ball but lacks some size. He will get his shot sooner or later.

No, I didn't mean to make it sound bad. I was actually wondering because I haven't heard anything about him since last year. Should have made it a seperate paragraph, I guess. I know Kircus plays for the Lions. Is Anes playing in the CFL or anything?

Believe me, if I wanted to be a smarta$$ I would be. :silly:

ok, a win is a win and a loss is a loss. But you cannot tell me that Anes wouldn't have made a difference. Runner-up for the Harlon Hill that year...I think if he would have played it would have made a difference. But he didn't play and we lost so oh well. That is the past and this is now. We all know there will be a good game on Saturday and that is all we should be talking about.

No, I don't think it made a difference one way or the other if Anes played. David Kircus was the guy that made GV go on offense because of his ability to take a short pass and turn it into a TD. The UND defense never let Kircus get loose and make a big play on those screens like Valdosta did last year. There are many QBs capable of making that throw and watching someone else do the work. IMO, Kircus was the most explosive offensive player I have seen in D2 football, and Anes was an above average D2 QB who had the benefit of playing with him.

I agree the game next Saturday should be a great one. It's remarkable that GV has been able to win three road playoff games with such a young team. I have nothing but respect for Brian Kelly and GV, I just think it's out of line for someone to come on the UND message board and give us the woulda, coulda, shoulda crap from a game two years ago.

I just think it's out of line for someone to come on the UND message board and give us the woulda, coulda, shoulda crap from a game two years ago.

I agreed that it was the past with no woulda's coulda's or shoulda's. So don't quote me when you talk about that.

Just so you know Anes played for the Lions in preseason but due to the fact they have two good young quarterbacks and an old man as the third he got cut. He will be playing in Europe this coming season with plans of the Lions signing him next year.

Fair enough. You are exactly right I am not here to talk any trash I think UND is a great program as has been proven now by 2 trips to the NC game in 3 years. I think we are in for a battle on Saturday and the team that scores the most points will win :silly:. I think your school as far as fans go are the best of any other school I have encountered this year. I hope to see the same at the NC game. I promise MOST GV fans are friendly unfortunately we like all schools have those students who are assholes to anyone wearing another color. We try to keep our chants clean except for when an official makes a bad call due to the fact we have seen so many recently. I will apologize in advance for those chants but what student section doesn't do that? Best of luck in the game and please keep showing your good sportsmanship. Also feel free to come post on my website www.gvfootball.com.

You've got a great website, Lakerfan. Thanks for the invitation to post on your message board, I'll have to sign up and talk about the game. I think the two teams match up pretty well in all areas- talent, coaching, and big game experience. I'm looking forward to a great game next week. :silly:

RD17, I apologize if you thought my comments were out of line. I really wasnt trying to get into a game of would have and could have. Its just that most Laker fans are still dissapointed that we lost our best player in the first half of the first playoff game. Yeah, I think most of us believe having Anes in the lineup would have been a lot better for our team. Case in point, with Anes as QB, we beat Saginaw Valley (our toughest rival) 38-7, with Anes out we had to fight for our lives and hang on 33-30 in the playoffs. Maybe it would have made no difference against UND, we will never know. But seriously, I never intended to disrespect UND at all, just wanted to say good luck and looking forward to another great game. I think you will find most Lakers are very classy, and we have enjoyed talking football with the TAMUK fans, they were quite refreshing after having to deal with Sagnasty fans all season. I am sure you guys are on the same level for class as TAMUK, real football fans.

agreed, beyond belief, already had to play a team twice, im kinda glad we lost that first game to svsu, so we could win the second one, anyway Looking forward to an awesome game on saturday, do i smell a rematch? Oh you better believe it, were coming in strong and youd better hold on tight!

GO LAKERS!

RD17, I apologize if you thought my comments were out of line. I really wasnt trying to get into a game of would have and could have. Its just that most Laker fans are still dissapointed that we lost our best player in the first half of the first playoff game. Yeah, I think most of us believe having Anes in the lineup would have been a lot better for our team. Case in point, with Anes as QB, we beat Saginaw Valley (our toughest rival) 38-7, with Anes out we had to fight for our lives and hang on 33-30 in the playoffs. Maybe it would have made no difference against UND, we will never know. But seriously, I never intended to disrespect UND at all, just wanted to say good luck and looking forward to another great game. I think you will find most Lakers are very classy, and we have enjoyed talking football with the TAMUK fans, they were quite refreshing after having to deal with Sagnasty fans all season. I am sure you guys are on the same level for class as TAMUK, real football fans.

Sorry, cypress, I was about to give you the benefit of the doubt until I found this posted by you on the GLIAC message board (posted on 12/7 at 7:37 a.m.):

I was over at the UND message board and told them I was looking forward to a good game. I also mentioned that Laker fans were dissapointed about losing in 2001, and we wished we would have had Anes for the playoffs. I wasnt trying to trash talk or anything, but the UND fans actually believe that having Anes at QB wouldnt have made a difference for us. Something about us having a running QB (Brady) made us better apparently. Please. Anes had 49 TDs and 3 INTs in 10 games. You cant tell me he wouldnt have made any positive influence on the game. With Anes at QB, GV would have cruised without much of a fight in the playoffs. I think everyone on here would agree with that. Even without him, we still should have won. That one missed tackle ruined my life (for about a month). Well, anyway the past is over, lets take 2003 as revenge for 2001.

If you don't intend any disrespect towards UND, you sure have a funny way of showing it. Injuries, mistakes, penalties, and the bounce of the ball are all part of the game. I don't have time for anyone that whines about what could have been or blames losses on injuries.