SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota needs to look at WY and start investing in its students.

WYOBISONMAN

During the past 5 years the State of Wyoming has paid almost $45,000 in scholarships for my kids to attend UW. This is through the Hathaway Scholarship program and another UW specific program. Since North Dakota is doing very well financially, it puzzles me that there is no effort to emulate a program similar to what we do in Wyoming to make sure our kids can get a university education. If you are interested in looking at the Wyoming program, I have posted the link to it below. While the program is not perfect, it has so far aided thousands of Wyoming students and since it is funded by an endowment set up by the State, it will continue in perpituity. If you click on the link to The University of Wyoming, it shows how the Hathaway merit and needs based scholarships are administered there.

http://www.hathawayscholarships.com/

The state of North Dakota does have something similar to this. When I was at UND I recieved a tuition 'waiver'/scolarship becasue of my high ACT score which could be used I believe at any college in ND. I don't recall it being well advertised, nor do I think it was something I applied for. I'll have to check to see if there is an online link to it

While scholarships are a good start, it doesn't prevent the state from losing its educated workforce. Not everybody wants work in the oil patch, on a farm, in the mines, etc. Providing the infrastructure for a more diversified economy might generate better returns over time, given the cyclical nature of some the current economic drivers.