SiouxSports.com Forum

Spirit Lake hockey player dies

GeauxSioux

Spirit Lake youth who dreamed of playing Fighting Sioux hockey dies in vehicle accident

Grant Michael Davidson was a hockey player, good enough to qualify two years running to play for the Dakota Predators, a youth traveling team that competed across North Dakota and in Minnesota and Canada.

A family elder had given him the Indian name Nagiskata, Spirit Play, and he dreamed of playing hockey someday for the UND Fighting Sioux.

“He was small, but he was fast,” said his grandmother, Eunice Davidson of Devils Lake, a longtime leader of Spirit Lake Sioux defenders of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

Interesting that a young man named Spirit Play from Spirit Lake wanted to play for the Fighting Sioux. I know this has been posted before, but I wonder if it would be possible to use Spirit Lake Sioux as the nickname.

I am sure that it would have to be approved all the way around the NCAA and conference circles.

Pretty tough week for his Grandma, her grandson dying and the name she fought for losing the final battle.

Edited by GeauxSioux

Spirit Lake youth who dreamed of playing Fighting Sioux hockey dies in vehicle accident

Interesting that a young man named Spirit Play from Spirit Lake wanted to play for the Fighting Sioux. I know this has been posted before, but I wonder if it would be possible to use Spirit Lake Sioux as the nickname.

I am sure that it would have to be approved all the way around the NCAA and conference circles.

Pretty tough week for his Grandma, her grandson dying and the name she fought for losing the final battle.

Sad, sad story. Such a tragedy. So sorry to hear this.

Interesting that a young man named Spirit Play from Spirit Lake wanted to play for the Fighting Sioux. I know this has been posted before, but I wonder if it would be possible to use Spirit Lake Sioux as the nickname.I am sure that it would have to be approved all the way around the NCAA and conference circles.

My condolences go out to all family and friends of him, it is always tough to hear a member of the Fighting Sioux family pass away.

University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux of Spirit Lake does have a nice ring to it!