New NCAA rules on celebrations

darell1976

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/328877/

The NCAA is taking the fun out of football. :angry:

Following the example of the

No

Fun

League

I understand and agree with penalties for taunting or team celebrations that last 30 seconds or more, but if they start penalizing players for pointing at the sky or bowing their head on one knee after they score then they've gone too far.

And of course it's ultimately going to be the referees discretion as far as what is and isn't excessive celebration so everytime someone makes a play and scratches their ass afterwards the other coach is going to be crying to the ref that the player is taunting his team.

I was going to write 'Doesn't the NCAA have anything better to do right now?', but I guess after finishing the Tressel investigation, getting the Heisman back from Bush, and pounding the final nails in the coffin on the UND nickname issue, they probably have a little extra time on their hands.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I watch to see a game and not to see someone demonstrate how ridiculous they can look. This is especially true for celebrations when your team is down by three touchdowns. It is about the team, and not the individual. The difficulty is going to be in where to draw the line. That is going to create the controversy.

If a team has the ball at their own 30 and the QB throws a bomb caught at the 10, and the QB puts his arms up signaling a great catch the ref can throw a flag and the ball is placed at that teams 15 for a whatever down and 25. Are you kidding me??

If a team has the ball at their own 30 and the QB throws a bomb caught at the 10, and the QB puts his arms up signaling a great catch the ref can throw a flag and the ball is placed at that teams 15 for a whatever down and 25. Are you kidding me??

Yeah, if you read the rule as it is written in the article, it sounds like that could be the case; but does "spot of the infraction" actually refer to where the offending player who commits the infraction is on the field, or where the ball is when the offense is committed? I would assume the latter, but who knows?