SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux on Satellite

PSB

I was talking to a satellite expert last night from CA. he told me there is a vast difference in the footprint power and shape between Horizontal (last year) and Vertical (This year) polarized satellite downlink frequencies (G3C), he will be checking out the signal quality from CA. tonight and tomorrow and I will report back on his results.

At least the weather is a lot clearer today so should help tonight.

Go Sioux!

Thanks for the emails regarding the LACK of ability to get the broadcast. In just a few hours I tallied up 5 guys including me without reception. Includes people in New York, Iowa, Ohio and North Dakota.

If you haven't done so already, send me an email at my shell email address of toledolawyer@aol.com if you aren't able to get any reception of the games. I'll keep posting the tally on the forum so we all get a sense of how many of us are affected. (would be interesting to know the dollar amount of useless satellite hardware!).

The purpose of the tally for me is to get some comfort that my receiver and dish aren't the cause of my poor reception, and to perhaps SOLVE this problem so we can enjoy the best college hockey in the country!

GO SIOUX!

I was talking to a satellite expert last night from CA. he told me there is a vast difference in the footprint power and shape between Horizontal (last year) and Vertical (This year) polarized satellite downlink frequencies (G3C), he will be checking out the signal quality from CA. tonight and tomorrow and I will report back on his results.

At least the weather is a lot clearer today so should help tonight.

Go Sioux!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PSB, I know YOU are a satellite expert, so this guy must be an expert's expert!

Anyway, come to think of it, I hardly pull anything up on the Vertical scan. The blind scan picked up a couple of hit on vertical, but they were too weak to set a channel - i.e. - "no channel."

If this is true, we need to lobby the Ralph to at least test this theory by sending out a test signal or changing frequency for a game or weekend. I've asked Jamie for this before, but to no avail.

Not much on this satellite vertical right enough.....

http://www.lyngsat.com/g3c.html

http://www.dmsiusa.com/charts.htm

I heard the satellite company tell THEM what coordinates they will have to use, they may have no choice on the matter other than moving to another satellite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I think that the satellite company doesn't offer much flexibility. I do believe that the Ralph wants us to be able to receive the broadcasts. So I don't want to come off as a big critic of the Ralph. In fact, they have been very accomodating in answering questions and taking the time to communicate. The answers may not always be what I want to hear...but so it goes....

They are not told from the satellite company what their coordinates are they choose what coordinates they want. They chose this satellite because they could get all the games they needed on the same slot or transponder. They knew what they were getting into. Not to Mention this is a South american Direct TV primary satellite. They probably got such a great deal on the satellite time they couldn't pass it up. Digital satellite time costs about $5.00 a minute unlick analog time which is $450.00 - $600 a hour. Its a money issue. And we know their making money.

One of the satelite guys (Chris Wilkes) at the Ralph responded with the following about our consistant request to "turn up the power":

"The theory about everything working better last year at the old

coordinates so the power must be down at the UpLink is not true. The

UpLink facility is running 3dB or more hotter than last year (as

directed to do so by PanAm Sat). FYI, 3dB is double the power. The

UpLink facility can not just turn up the power. A satellite signal

loading is like balancing act. It is set and monitored very

carefully by skilled personnel."

They also recommended going to a larger dish:

"The one recommendation I have is a larger dish if possible. If it

can be installed by yourself it can also be more economical than anything

else. A doubling the sizes of the dish will give you roughly 6 dB of gain

over the small dish. My guess is that you have about 5.5 dB signal

to noise receiving the UND signal. Doubling the size of the dish would

get you around 12 dB signal to noise or more. (being conservative).

Also, doubling the size of the dish gives you a narrower beam width.

This means that signals on adjacent satellites will not interfere as

much."

The Ralph would also like someone to do the following:

"Would it be possible for someone to verify the signal to noise with a Spectrum Analyzer? This cold help greatly in pinning down the difficulty."

Test card UP! Signals up and down!

40%-60% quality on Fortec Lifetime Ultra+31" dish . Signal breaking up!

40-50% quality on Satwork 3618 with the big DirecPC dish. (good for a Satwork) Good solid signal! Wait a moment slight break up.

Now the signal is way UP! Must be the cloud cover, we have a print out of a spectrum analyzer results (During a game) posted a few pages back maybe someone could send that?

Looking good now!

GO SIOUX!

63% Satwork/DirecPC : )

80% Fortec / 31" dish : )

Well, I have a signal tonight. Bouncing between 39 and 41%. It starts looking bad at 36, unwatchable at 35 and gone at 34 so I hope it stays at 39 or greater. Why does the signal always bounce so much from the Ralph? The Duluth games and if I remember right the Sioux football games were a solid number. All the Sioux home hockey games vary all the time.

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweet. dancing 39-47 on the signal on a 75cm dishw' satworks. never saw anything over 40 last season, despite having no picture problems. thought the big wind last weekend may have messed up the dish pointing....guess not.

looks like I won't get to play CIV II while listening to the game over the internet. D'oh?

No Its called the ralph is finally paying attention to its viewers and not admitting to a problem buy issuing statements that make them look good, but we all know they are full of sh##.

They are responsible for the all aspects of the broadcast and if they can't handle the pressure get out of the kitchen. Living on the edge every night depending on the weather and if its a away game is unexceptable they need to have a decend signal every time they light up the satellite. Otherwise I will take my receivers out of service and sell them on ebay.

My original system is a Satwork ST3618 with a 76cm dish, (mis-quoted my dish size in an earlier post as being a 90 cm dish).

Two weeks I bought and installed an in-line signal amplifier which did not seem to help at all.

On Saturday I bought a used 1.2 meter dish from an installer in Bismarck, ND. The 1.2 meter dish appears to be a figerglass composite of some sort, with a tripod frame to hold the LNB. Set up the 1.2 meter dish when I got home, left the in-line amplifier in circuit, and used a satellite meter to tweak in the signal. Had signal quality of 90 on the Chinese stations, had upper 80's previously. ;)

Saturday's game using the Satwork ST3618 and the 1.2 meter dish I had signal quality of 87 to 90. ;)

Sunday's exibition game I had a steady signal of 90. ;)

Even when they had the power turned up previously, I never received this high of signal quality levels.

1.2 meter dish may be more than I need but I was desparate. The DirecPC dishes that PSB and other uses may have done the job as well for me, but the installer only had the smaller size of the DirecPC dish and I wanted to go for the home run.

Hope this information helps out others that have been having the same poor or no reception that i have had this year.

For those with motorized systems

Need a hockey fix for the holidays?

Found some tournament hockey on 12/29 & 12/30 on of all places, Ohio News Network (ONN)

SBS6 (74W)

H

12/29 4:05 Central (THIS TIME HAS BEEN CHANGED FROM 7:05)

Minnesota State Mankato vs. Ohio State

12/30 7:05 Central

Colorado College vs. Ohio State