SiouxSports.com Forum

The Clock is ticking on NCAA Pres Mark Emmert

star2city

I don't think there's any reason to be scared about this meeting, to me this is a second chance I didn't see coming until the legislation was passed. After this meeting either the nickname will go away once and for all, which we all expected, or something better will happen, which we had pretty much lost hope of. Short of being stuck back on the H&A list if both parties do opt to test the legal waters again, which would surprise me, I don't see much of a downside for the supporters...the horse wasn't totally dead but it was on life support.

One thing I have to correct though is the NCAA does carry more weight than any other dog in this fight, regardless of the stance of the state/SBHE, the university, Spirit Lake, or the fans, the NCAA has the final trump card in the hole and can say, "Nah, this is what we want or else..." and that will probably be it. And up until now it seemed like that was the only way it was going to play out.

BUT...all of a sudden the new NCAA president decides to come to ND and have a roundtable discussion about the issue. And what I can't get my mind wrapped around is why? Is he coming to lay down the law and give a "You guys already agreed to this and if you try to backslide and take us to court we're going to do this and this and this and this and make your life hell until you settle again" speech? Does he truly have a desire to try to appease the masses and try to salvage the nickname? Is he testing the waters with the SBHE and whatever legislators they round up to gauge if they have the stones to throw down once more? Or if they really want to save it at all or are just trying to save face for their re-election chances? I wish I knew what was going around and around in Emmert's mind, because until we know that the rest of this is just one big grey area.

One thing is sure, if representatives from the two Tribes are not asked to attend the best we can hope for is that this meeting is a feeling out process... the NCAA doesn't need the Tribes in attendance to make a bunch of non-compliance threats and that would be the only other reason they would be coming without having the Tribes in attendance.

Totally agree with this.On one hand, the fact that he's coming to ND to discuss this in our yard could be a very positive step for the name. A new President and possibly a new philosophy. On the other hand, he could come in and say," look, a deal is a deal. You didn't get both tribes to approve the name before the deadline, we have a signed contract by the NCAA and the parties of the state, we're done. Change the name or face other sanctions."

I'm optimistic enough to think that he wouldn't come to ND to punish us so maybe there is a negotiation he's got planned for us. I will say that I'm very happy the NCAA is coming to ND. It shows that they see how important this issue is to the people of ND.

The thing is though the NCAA still has to abide by the law that why I say they don't have the weight legislation does. The state could use the argument that by not allowing the name the NCAA is a private entity. If that would happen the NCAA would have to fold like a house of cards because they would have to be taxed like any other private entity and the NCAA will do anything to avoid that. That is the NCAA ultimate nightmare. I just think that if they NCAA wasn't willing to actually have dialogue then the president wouldn't becoming. I think one of his gremlins would be doing that dirty work. I think the NCAA will just say alright enough is enough we have enough to deal with invloving the Fiesta Bowl, concerns about paying players, and concerns about these colleges apparently paying athletes. The nickname is just another thing they don't need and in comparison to the other events I just don't think they really care all that much. Hopefully they say we got the closest tribes approval, like Florida State and thats that. (best case scenario)

You're making this claim assuming the law is actually constitutional. I'm not sure that's an argument I'm ready to go with. The ND Supreme Court might not see it the same way.

... One thing is sure, if representatives from the two Tribes are not asked to attend the best we can hope for is that this meeting is a feeling out process...

...the fact that he's coming to ND to discuss this in our yard could be a very positive step for the name. ...

I'm optimistic enough to think that he wouldn't come to ND to punish us so maybe there is a negotiation he's got planned for us.

... I am really concerned that, due to the mixture of pro-nicknamers and neutral or anti-nicknamers in the North Dakota delegation, that the North Dakota delegation won't push the case for keeping the nickname aggressively enough. This may be our last shot, so it needs to be a good one...

Invite the people or a spokesperson from the group that put the petition together to explain what is actually going on at standing rock and also maybe a tribal historian who can explain the significance of and the binding agreement they made with UND leaders with the "pipe" ceremony .

These posters make a lot of sense. If the NCAA was going to say they are not willing to change their stance, they could do that from Indianapolis. I still think the strongest, most passionate testimony would come from Myra Pearson (SL Chairwoman) and Eunice Davidson from Spirit Lake and Archie Fool Bear from Standing Rock. Then get Charles Murphy (SR Chairman) to tell the NCAA why they disregarded 1000+ signatures on a petition to allow the members of Standing Rock to vote on the nickname, especially when one of his main campaign promises was that he would champion bringing the vote to the people. Meantime, Archie could explain the significance of the pipe ceremony. I think I remember reading somewhere that he was there.

These posters make a lot of sense. If the NCAA was going to say they are not willing to change their stance, they could do that from Indianapolis. I still think the strongest, most passionate testimony would come from Myra Pearson and Eunice Davidson from Spirit Lake and Archie Fool Bear from Standing Rock. Then get Charles Murphy to tell the NCAA why they disregarded 1000+ signatures on a petition to allow the members of Standing Rock to vote on the nickname, especially when one of his main campaign promises was that he would champion bringing the vote to the people. Meantime, Archie could explain the significance of the pipe ceremony. I think I remember reading somewhere that he was there.

Exactly. If the NCAA feels they are in a strong authoritarian position - like placing schools on probation - they issue those decrees from Indianapolis. When the NCAA feels vulnerability, the President travels to respond personally in an attempt to placate the aggrieved party.

Until the North Dakota legislature took a stand, the NCAA nickname policy had never been formally challenged in the political system (challenges in the judiciary weren't sufficiently threatening). Florida State briefly threatened political action, and the NCAA backed away immediately to give Florida State an exemption. The huge majorities in the ND Senate and House were noticed by the NCAA. The massive political support in ND will move force ND politician to bring the nickname issue center stage to Washington if the NCAA doesn't back down - which could snowball into many other grievances against the NCAA. The NCAA simply cannot afford that type of risk - it needs the nickname issue to be settled soon.

People like Eunice Davidson and Archie Fool Bear are the real heroes in this. Until the Sioux people really spoke up and allowed their voices and votes to be heard, the legislature didn't feel it had the moral clout to object to the NCAA's decrees.

People like Eunice Davidson and Archie Fool Bear are the real heroes in this. Until the Sioux people really spoke up and allowed their voices and votes to be heard, the legislature didn't feel it had the moral clout to object to the NCAA's decrees.

This is exactly right, and we should not forget this regardless of the final outcome. It's probably only come this far because of them.