SiouxSports.com Forum

Hinkley USCHO's Womens Player of the Week

elmduf

Margaret-Ann Hinkley, North Dakota

In all the excitement of UND Mens team sweep over the goofs, I noticed this on USCHO.com. I know the women have been struggling this year, but here is some good news! :silly:

Margaret-Ann Hinkley — North Dakota

Entering Sunday's game at home against No. 8 New Hampshire, the Fighting Sioux had zero wins against nationally-ranked competition in program history. Not to mention, they were 0-6-1 for the season, including a 6-2 defeat to the Wildcats the day before.

But the tide turned when USCHO.com Defensive Player of the Week Margaret-Ann Hinkley stopped 37 of 39 shots to carry North Dakota to a 3-2 upset victory, the biggest win in the short two-year history of UND women's hockey.

The sophomore from Edmonton survived a brutal second period in which the Sioux were outshot 22-3, yet North Dakota still maintained a 2-1 lead at the intermission.

Although the Wildcats battled back to tie in the third period, a Sioux goal in the final minute by Alexia Gagnon-Laplante ensured that Hinkley's effort would not go to waste. The groundbreaking victory was just the second of Hinkley's career, and one she will long remember.

Hinkley did it again today and shutout #10 Mankato 2-0. She played damn good. I don't watch many of the women's games, but this was far and away the best I have seen from a goalie. She seemed to be flopping around like a fish, but she was stopping everything. The Sioux have a two game winning steak, both against top 10 teams. :silly: