SiouxSports.com Forum

Donations

lomackman

I thought all of you said with the logo being dropped would kill donations?

How many of these donations came in before the name controversy. I haven't dug into it yet, but they counted on gift from an estate (how long ago was that decision made) that was announced in the 2008-2009 annual report. (That's one that I picked at random, although I did decide to pick an estate.)

Too early to make a determination either way. It does appears by the press releases that most of the donations were received or planned well before final decisions were made regarding the Fighting Sioux name. I do hope in the next year or so UND can show an extra $100M+ in the kitty. The time clock started yesterday at 3PM CST.

Too early to make a determination either way. It does appears by the press releases that most of the donations were received or planned well before final decisions were made regarding the Fighting Sioux name. I do hope in the next year or so UND can show an extra $100M+ in the kitty. The time clock started yesterday at 3PM CST.

Do you really believe that the donors did not expect the name to change? Notice the money is not earmarked for sports but education, the real goal of the university. Simply all of the claims here of donations being cut had no basis in fact. More of a hope so they could say, "See I told you".

The goal for raising that $100 million is June 30, 2013.

Do you really believe that the donors did not expect the name to change? Notice the money is not earmarked for sports but education, the real goal of the university. Simply all of the claims here of donations being cut had no basis in fact. More of a hope so they could say, "See I told you".

Just saying it's too early to make an "informed" decision. Time will tell. You need to be less emotional.

How many of these donations came in before the name controversy. I haven't dug into it yet, but they counted on gift from an estate (how long ago was that decision made) that was announced in the 2008-2009 annual report. (That's one that I picked at random, although I did decide to pick an estate.)

I believe that the NCAA started banning Native American nicknames and logos in 2005. The fundraising project started in 2005. I would say that most of the people that gave money were probably aware that the nickname was in serious jeopardy.

I believe that the NCAA started banning Native American nicknames and logos in 2005. The fundraising project started in 2005. I would say that most of the people that gave money were probably aware that the nickname was in serious jeopardy.

Are we talking about donations to the NCAA here? In 2005 UND was fighting to keep the logo. Why would anyone be upset with UND over that.

What people ought to be upset is that UND purposely dumped the name rather than fight it.

Not to continue beating this dead horse, but, who is to say that some of these people didn't donate in hope that their donation would somehow show the University and others their support for the name? I wasn't one of them so I can not speak for them. Maybe you are... and so you can.

Not to continue beating this dead horse, but, who is to say that some of these people didn't donate in hope that their donation would somehow show the University and others their support for the name? I wasn't one of them so I can not speak for them. Maybe you are... and so you can.

Prior to the spring of 2009 the School was officially still in favor of keeping the name and the Board of Higher education was thought to be of the same mind.

Prior to the spring of 2009 the School was officially still in favor of keeping the name and the Board of Higher education was thought to be of the same mind.

They were both in favor of keeping the name, but anyone that was paying attention knew that the chances of keeping it were very small. The decision still had to go through Standing Rock and they were strongly against it.