SiouxSports.com Forum

SUU @ UND

SiouxMD

I'm not a fair weather fan that will lose interest when the going gets rough.

And neither am I as I plan on continuing to support my favorite squad in not only football, basketball, volleyball etc, and I don't question the loyalty of most of the fans here.......................but I do think that some critism is warranted.

I understand that the transition to DI is extremely difficult, but who here would have guessed that of USD, NDSU, SDSU, North Dakota, and even UNC, that North Dakota given the resources, facilities, tradition, and alumni, would have struggled during the move perhaps the most of the 5 former NCC schools that have moved to DI? I admit that really the only success that Northern Colorado has had compared to us is that they secured conference affiliation quite early in the transition, but honestly, as far as performance on the football field goes, it pains me to say that through this transiton North Dakota is much closer to Northern Colorado than it is to SDSU, NDSU, or USD.

I think that given the proud and successful history of North Dakota's football program, we should at least look like we belong on the same field as schools like South Dakota and Southern Utah.........we didn't during the past two weeks.

And neither am I as I plan on continuing to support my favorite squad in not only football, basketball, volleyball etc, and I don't question the loyalty of most of the fans here.......................but I do think that some critism is warranted.

I understand that the transition to DI is extremely difficult, but who here would have guessed that of USD, NDSU, SDSU, North Dakota, and even UNC, that North Dakota given the resources, facilities, tradition, and alumni, would have struggled during the move perhaps the most of the 5 former NCC schools that have moved to DI? I admit that really the only success that Northern Colorado has had compared to us is that they secured conference affiliation quite early in the transition, but honestly, as far as performance on the football field goes, it pains me to say that through this transiton North Dakota is much closer to Northern Colorado than it is to SDSU, NDSU, or USD.

I think that given the proud and successful history of North Dakota's football program, we should at least look like we belong on the same field as schools like South Dakota and Southern Utah.........we didn't during the past two weeks.

UND had one major factor that was different than the other Dakota schools. UND lost a head coach as they entered the transition period. They promoted a coach from within rather than hiring an existing head coach. The change in coaches set back the recruiting process a year or 2. And it has probably taken Mussman some time to adjust to the head job, just as it takes most people time to get up to speed when they are promoted. In spite of this, they have managed to have a winning record every year.

As we have seen, on the field success can change quickly. NDSU had several good years, went down quickly, and is having more success this year. SDSU made the playoffs last year and things aren't going quite as well this year. South Dakota hasn't had a better record during transition until this year. Their big claim to fame is a single win over Minnesota. And even UND has had both good and bad. They looked bad in a couple of games last year and then came back to play several pretty good games at the end of the season. I think it's a little early to write off UND's program or it's coach. Adjustments need to be made. They may need to change some personnel. But you don't make wholesale changes based on part of one season.

• Upvote 1

UND had one major factor that was different than the other Dakota schools. UND lost a head coach as they entered the transition period. They promoted a coach from within rather than hiring an existing head coach. The change in coaches set back the recruiting process a year or 2. And it has probably taken Mussman some time to adjust to the head job, just as it takes most people time to get up to speed when they are promoted. In spite of this, they have managed to have a winning record every year.

As we have seen, on the field success can change quickly. NDSU had several good years, went down quickly, and is having more success this year. SDSU made the playoffs last year and things aren't going quite as well this year. South Dakota hasn't had a better record during transition until this year. Their big claim to fame is a single win over Minnesota. And even UND has had both good and bad. They looked bad in a couple of games last year and then came back to play several pretty good games at the end of the season. I think it's a little early to write off UND's program or it's coach. Adjustments need to be made. They may need to change some personnel. But you don't make wholesale changes based on part of one season.

Ummm, so did NDSU. Bohl's first year was our exploratory year. I really don't think replacing a coach is that big of a factor; obviously the important thing is to hire the right guy. I'm not invested in your program like you guys are, so I can't say if Mussman is that guy or not.

Ummm, so did NDSU. Bohl's first year was our exploratory year. I really don't think replacing a coach is that big of a factor; obviously the important thing is to hire the right guy. I'm not invested in your program like you guys are, so I can't say if Mussman is that guy or not.

I do believe that changing coaches can be a big factor. It adds one more variable to the mix. I had forgotten that Bohl was new also. One difference I should have pointed out was that the coach UND hired did not have experience at a higher level, while Bohl had experience working at the top level of college football. That experience should help with the transition. And it isn't up to us to decide whether Mussman is the guy or not, that's up to Mr. Faison.

I do believe that changing coaches can be a big factor. It adds one more variable to the mix. I had forgotten that Bohl was new also. One difference I should have pointed out was that the coach UND hired did not have experience at a higher level, while Bohl had experience working at the top level of college football. That experience should help with the transition. And it isn't up to us to decide whether Mussman is the guy or not, that's up to Mr. Faison.

Yes, but the coach that UND did hire was hired from within, so that in theory should have its own advantages as well: the schemes stayed the same, many assistants were retained, he had a hand in recruiting alot of the players, etc.

It is not like Lennon left and a new coach with drastically different ideas came in and none of the players or staff were in place to implement his new ideas.

I'm not arguing one way or another, just sayin...........it is not like we were an option team with a 4-3 defense and a new guy came in and decided to switch everything to a spread offense and 3-4 defense.

Yes, but the coach that UND did hire was hired from within, so that in theory should have its own advantages as well: the schemes stayed the same, many assistants were retained, he had a hand in recruiting alot of the players, etc.

It is not like Lennon left and a new coach with drastically different ideas came in and none of the players or staff were in place to implement his new ideas.

I'm not arguing one way or another, just sayin...........it is not like we were an option team with a 4-3 defense and a new guy came in and decided to switch everything to a spread offense and 3-4 defense.

My point is that it is not an easy task to go from one of the boys to the head guy, especially if you don't have experience as a head guy. Lots of people in lots of industries struggle with that change all of the time. It is one of the struggles of promoting from within.