SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Two Deep Off-Backfield

FSSD

QB - J. Landry*, B. Goska

Comments: Returning starting with Landry. I liked how he played last year. He showed some good leadership. But, he does need to work on getting comfortable with his reads. At times it seemed that he locked on to one reciever too long. In addition, I was expecting more vertical plays last year with his arm strength. But, I can only remember three or four long plays over 40/50 yards last year. I think that Goska provides a solid change of pace of off the bench with his run first style.

WR - C. Anderson (15 receptions), J. Davis (4 receptions) /B. Townsend

WR - R. Dressler (20 receptions), G. Hardin/C. Roach

*I. Bamba - who knows?

Comments: Bamba (51 receptions)/Konrath (39 receptions) had 90 receptions. The three other know receivers had a total of 39. At this point I assume that Bamba is out of the equation. So, the Sioux will need C. Anderson and R. Dressler to step up this year. This position is going to be fun to watch this spring. In addition, two or three freshman will be in the mix with Townsend, Hardin and Roach. I think the coaches will move Davis to WR. I have no idea who is going emerge from this group. But, one the keys this spring is developing a chemistry between this group and J. Landry

RB - M. Sutton, C. Solum

FB - E. Magstdt - (out for the season)

* J. Murry - who knows? and M. Binns - possible transfer according to others on-line - I am really sad to see this I was really looking forward to watching him play.

Comments: Most people have been brushing off the loss of Magstdt but he was listed as the starting FB at the end of the season last year. You combine that with the shortage at TE and this could have a big impact on the offense and type of formations that they can run. I think we may see more 3/4 WR sets. But, who is going to play WR? If we have Murry back than I am happy at the RB position. Without him we are lacking depth at running back and we could see a true freshman playing at RB. Overall, the Sioux have lots of questions at the skill positions this year. It is important that they have a good spring and the young kids progress quickly.

QB--1. Landry; 2. Goska

RB--1. Sutton; 1A. Murray

FB--1. Solum; 2. ?

SE--1. Hardin; 2. McGill

WR--1. Townsend; 2. Anderson

Lots of wildcards here--will Bamba make it back? Which true freshmen won't red-shirt? Will Murray be as good as he was in 2008 after a year off? What's the deal with Roach?

I do think Solum needs to be moved to fullback, unless with a somewhat different offense the fullback won't be used much anymore, if at all.

QB--1. Landry; 2. Goska

RB--1. Sutton; 1A. Murray

FB--1. Solum; 2. ?

SE--1. Hardin; 2. McGill

WR--1. Townsend; 2. Anderson

Lots of wildcards here--will Bamba make it back? Which true freshmen won't red-shirt? Will Murray be as good as he was in 2008 after a year off? What's the deal with Roach?

I do think Solum needs to be moved to fullback, unless with a somewhat different offense the fullback won't be used much anymore, if at all.

Maybe Ryan Chappel changed his identity in hopes of getting a fresh start :lol:

Maybe Ryan Chappel changed his identity in hopes of getting a fresh start :lol:

No way to sugar coat it, Chappel is the most ignorant athlete ever to come out of GF, maybe the whole state. He had a tremendous future in whatever he decided to do in front of him and screwed it up. Even if he did not pursue FB after college, his name alone with alums etc would have been great as a door opener for other opportunities. What a waste.

Will McGill play as a true freshman? Anyone else?

Mussman has said that due to the relatively small numbers in the junior and senior classes, it's very possible that not all of the true freshmen will be red-shirted. And with the lack of proven returnees at receiver, that would appear to be one of the main areas of need. I have no inside info on this, and am just basing my opinion on the fact that McGill appears to be the most accomplished of the incoming receivers, and could potentially also contribute as a returner. As for others who could possibly play right away, possibly Carrasco and/or Butler? Tight end is also a need, but I have to think Grant needs a year to add some bulk.