SiouxSports.com Forum

Forward Comparison

Hiteminthemouth

If Taffe and Vanek are at MN next year, they are the instant favorites.  Even when he was an inconsistent frosh, Taffe always had his best games against the Sioux.  He has dynamite skills.  I understand Vanek is likewise blessed with stunning talent.  

With neither Taffe nor Vanek, I think MN slides a bit.  Koalska, Riddle and Tallackson are all maturing nicely into impact players, so they won't stink, but it would be hard to adjust to the absence of Taffe in addition to Pohl and Leo.

With either Taffe or Vanek, I think MN contends. (I've never seen Vanek, so I'm going strictly on reputation).

Guyer is supposed to be roughly of the same quality as Parise, and I think Gopher fans like Erickson and expect him to be a fixture in the lineup.

How the Sioux compare will depend on whether Bayda returns and how this year's frosh grow.  I think the youngsters should progress well enough to make the Sioux forwards basically a push with MN's, and give the Sioux the edge if MN is without Taffe and Vanek.  (Gopher fans, of course you have to expect me to like our forwards here.)

jk I like what you say but I think the Sioux team is one year behind the gophers.

I think the goofs have enough returning talent that with Taffe and Vanek they will be downright scary and without them they might still be one of the top contenders.  Of course, we need to see how they finish the postseason play, but right now they look as good as anyone could.

I still think the Sioux will be competitive with the gophers next year, but I'm not sure about equal.  I know I have been wrong many times before and hope I am again.

Yo Sic...

I live in GF and don't have any local games to attend or talk about so I thought this is as good a time as any to start this discussion.  I love college hockey and have season tickets for the Sioux but I am a UM grad and will always be a Gopher.  It's all about focus... When I leave for the Final Five tomorrow this thread will be the last thing on my mind.  I'm looking forward to 5 more wins yet this year!!

To this Gopher fan, the biggest difference between the Sioux and Gophers this weekend was at the point.  It was especially noticable on the PP.

Oviously Leo cannot be replaced at MN, but we still have two very good puckhandling d-men coming back.  Do the Sioux have anyone to match Ballard and Martin coming in?  That would be my concern if I wore green.

But as mentioned - long way to yet this year for the Gophs.

With Taffe and Vaneck, edge to Mn. With one of them, slight edge to Mn.  with both gone a toss up.  Defense will be in Mn. favor because of Ballard and Martin.  Goalies, this could be a thread on its own.  We do not have a third goalie at this point for next year.  Neither Johnson or Weber has proven anything.  You have two coming back next year that not shown they can do the job night in night out.  Your new goalie is just that.  A new goalie, who knows.  This is not a slam, but I will miss the green at the X this week-end.  Your fans are normally fun to be around during the tournement.  Unlike SCCC, or Wisky fans.   ;)  ???  ;)  ;)

About the point on the power play:

I'd expect to see Andy Schneider get more comfortable .... and run the SECOND unit. I suspect a healthy Chris Fournier will be running the point on the first. He was put up there a couple of times this season. Who knows, you could even see a freshman running the UND power play next year. ???

About goaltending:

I'd put UM's Weber and Johnson and UND's Siembida, Brandt, and Sedevie ALL in the "Great Big Question Mark" category right now. None were awe-inspiring over more than a weekend. None showed that they are the next "long haul" goaltender. Forget forwards, results next year for both teams will be most easily linked to results from the guy standing in the light blue paint.

Personally, I'm hoping that Siembida not having to fillout "change of address cards" every three months (to Waterloo from NOJHL and to UND from Waterloo) will help him focus on his game.

Personally, I'm hoping that Siembida not having to fillout "change of address cards" every three months (to Waterloo from NOJHL and to UND from Waterloo) will help him focus on his game.

Once the Sioux get a strong defense, then that will keep the goals way down. Siembida just needs to work on fundamentals, positon and not giving up huge rebounds. I think Siembida is the goalie that the Sioux will go to next year!

DLW4, understanding your point but I think you are more accurate to say that MN's "offense" will be better with Ballard and Martin.  Awesome offensive players but I think our ability to play defense is probably as good, if not a bit better due to not having our D men pinching up so much.

From the D corp, we are behind in the area of getting the puck into transition.  I agree in that respect.