SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubble Screen TD?

sprig

Yeah, it was a bit of a bubble. There was a small bubble of players up front who didn't really block in the way I thought a bubble screen normally went, but that's what I would have called it. Like I said, the bubble screen is actually theoretically a pretty good play when your opponent is prone to zone blitz. You get 3-5 yards for free and then you force open field tackles, which we managed to shake in this instance.

The sioux got lucky that Dalh was @ Saftey instead of Mike Sheppard.

I don't think luck has much to do with it. Bad play calling by NDSU coaches, perhaps. Poor execution by NDSU players, definitey. But I don't really see a role for luck in that particular play. Taking advantage of your opponents' stupid formations is just good football.

I'm sure we'll give NDSU some similar opportunities, and if NDSU capitalizes on some of them it won't be because of luck.

1st qrt. over. UND 7 NDSU 0. I honestly didn't expect UND to score any touchdowns. NDSU got cought with the wrong person @ SS which allowed UND to score. Otherwise, they wouldn't have scored. NDSU is currently driving on UND who looks foolish on defense as they are unable to stop anything NDSU is throwing at them.

** well it looks like as soon as i said that the Bison offense sputtered a bit almost allowing an interception.

1st qrt. over. UND 7 NDSU 0. I honestly didn't expect UND to score any touchdowns. NDSU got cought with the wrong person @ SS which allowed UND to score. Otherwise, they wouldn't have scored. NDSU is currently driving on UND who looks foolish on defense as they are unable to stop anything NDSU is throwing at them.

** well it looks like as soon as i said that the Bison offense sputtered a bit almost allowing an interception.

Whoops. Guess foolish works for the Sioux also.

• 1 month later...

The Bubble Screen is a good play. It is an easy completion of 2 yards or more. If the play breaks great, but the way I see UND does not run it as a game breaking play. If it was ment to be a game breaker UND would not run it as much as they do. It just might work out that way sometimes, but as a coach its like a long hand-off. If you gain 5 yards good, if you gain 80 great.