SiouxSports.com Forum

New Respect for Mike McFeely

star2city

In the last couple of days, Forum columnist MeFeely proves that he is capable of rational thought, unlike the delusions of grandeur running through the minds of most NDSU and SDSU posters and lurkers.

The first article, D-I aims aside, matchup spicy includes the following quote:

And, just so we’re clear on this, I still do not think it is wise for the Bison to leave the NCC and move to Division I. I came out against it many months ago and haven’t yet changed my mind. The move upward might work for football -- if somehow Taylor and Co. can cobble together a legit conference -- but it will not work for anything else.

Call me a killjoy, but it sure looks like the athletic director and president Runnin’ Joe Chapman are damning Tim Miles and Amy Ruley to 9-18 perpetuity.

The second column, Expect oddities in Bison slate, is about the 2004-5 BBall schedule. The chances of the Bison scheduling a home game against a 'name' opponent are almost nil. I will admit that obtaining a conference affiliation would change the scheduling outlook, but it has been 'awfully quiet' on that front as well.

Here's a snippet of McFeely's view:

It is likely the Bison will have Big 10 and Big 12 schools lining up to play them in non-conference affairs. Is this because they’ll view NDSU as an equal and they are welcoming the Bison into the fraternity of big-timers? Of course not, silly. It is because they’ll see NDSU as a patsy, a doormat victory that will count toward a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

That is not being negative. That is being realistic. That is the short-term future of men’s basketball at NDSU. There’s a chance it could be the long-term future, too.

Is it a step forward? That depends on your point of view. If you’re a Bison fan and playing teams from the power conferences is enough to trip your trigger -- and, admittedly, it is somewhat intriguing -- then NDSU’s venture to Division I will look good. If you need the Bison to actually compete with the big boys, you might want to explore another avenue.

One thing is certain: As the barometer of Northern Colorado shows, it is going to be a long, tough road. A lot longer and tougher than one football victory at Montana would indicate.

Oh come on. You mean to tell me that Duke, Maryland, etc. won't respect the Stream Yellow BB program? I won't be able to watch them play on network TV on the weekends? Wow. So disappointed ...

I'm sure Florida State, Michigan and Nebraska will certainly have respect for the FB program in the next year or two. Are they on the Blundering Turd schedule yet? Does UND even have a chance to maybe schedule a scrimmage in the future? :(;)

It's my understanding that NDSU wouldn't be playing Michigan and those peeps. But if they did, I'd love to go to see that at the Fargodome. Imagine. Michigan 52 NDSU 3.

Then they'll bring FSU or Miami in and then we may even see a game that gets into the triple digits. ;)

It's my understanding that NDSU wouldn't be playing Michigan and those peeps.  But if they did, I'd love to go to see that at the Fargodome.  Imagine.  Michigan 52 NDSU 3.

Then they'll bring FSU or Miami in and then we may even see a game that gets into the triple digits.  ;)

Western illinois @ LSU.... LSU wins 35-7. Hardly a "triple digit loss".