SiouxSports.com Forum

Help for NDSU-UND game coordinator

tony

I got an email from a UND guy who needs some help coming up with trivia for the NDSU-UND game that he's hosting. Last year, I gave him the list of UND players in the pros and directed him to this site. You can get an idea of what he's looking for by following quote:

However, I have been asked to furnish some trivia/records/former players in the NFL, etc and now find that I can not locate what I had in the past. I need some for both, but especially for the UND.

I'm going to tell him about last time UND pulled out of the rivalry back in 1906. If you want UND's side of the story presented, you better do some research and chime in because the NDSU version is this: NDSU-UND played twice every year. In the first game in 1906 up in Grand Forks, NDSU won 32-4. UND then remembered that Fargo was a dangerous place and they backed out of the second game. This caused a feud that ended the rivalry for three more years.

Don't really have any other NDSU trivia to give him.

I'm going to tell him about last time UND pulled out of the rivalry back in 1906. If you want UND's side of the story presented, you better do some research and chime in because the NDSU version is this: NDSU-UND played twice every year. In the first game in 1906 up in Grand Forks, NDSU won 32-4. UND then remembered that Fargo was a dangerous place and they backed out of the second game. This caused a feud that ended the rivalry for three more years.

Ahhhh, yes. 1906. I remember it like it was yesterday... Here's the REAL scoop. In 1904 and 1905, the two teams played twice in a season, with each team hosting once. However, in that fateful year of '06, NDSU apparently refused to travel to UND (the one game played in '06 was AT NDSU according to the UND media guide), thereby causing such ill will that the series was apparently suspended until 1910. UND won the 1910 matchup 18-0. That was the happiest day of my life up to that point... :0

That's MY story, and I'm sticking to it. :D

1906 Spectrum:

The North Dakota Agricultural College football team beat UND 32-4, according to the November 1906 Spectrum. Without warning, UND canceled the second game. The January 1907 Spectrum referred again to this conflict when it announced that the basketball games against UND had been canceled. "Owing to the ill-feelings existing between UND and AC on account of football difficulties, all athletic events between the two institutions have been called off. It is to be hoped that an amicable settlement of difficulties may soon be reached, and the old feeling of friendly rivalry be restored."

Some things never change....... :D

The way I remember it, the ag school didn't have enough men to field an 11-man team (all you needed in those days) so wanted to substitute in a couple cows as linesmen. Despite that the cows were enrolled as degree-track students (pharmacy, I believe), UND stood by its firm policy of competing against only all-human teams.

It wasn't until the great flax famine of 1910 that the ag school's human interest was once again high enough to field a team (though rumors still persist that at least 2 of them were very hardy frontier women).

Thanks UND92,96. The game WAS at NDSU. I only ran across this by accident several years ago and couldn't remember the reasons given for UND pulling out.

I know that NDSU thumped UND. I think what happened was that UND said they weren't coming back to Fargo the next year because they were worried that Fargo people were too rowdy. NDSU decided not to go up to UND for the second game. They bickered for three years and then made up in 1909.

Very timely trivia, I thought, for this year's game. It'd make a better story if it wa exactly 100 years ago but I'm sure there are parallels to our present day situation. Personally, I think the series is most likely to end in 2009 (as opposed to next year).

-------------

CoteauRinkRat, I'm supposed to ask you nicely? HAHAAHHAHAHAHAHA! Squirt not those fiery tears of rage - I abase myself before thy presence and humbly beseech thy pardon. That better?

Thanks.

Here's the trivia I've found so far:

UND was the first team to play the Gophers in U of M's Memorial Stadium back in 1924.

Eddie Cochems was a coach at UND who left to coach at Clemson 1906 and then went to St. Louis University where, according to Clemson, "...historians credit Cochems with being the first coach to use it [the forward pass] in a game. He taught his players to throw the ball with a spiral, rather than end-over-end."