• Any winning record will do me just fine
    • Great West Champions
    • I'm worried we might have a losing record
    • A .500 season excluding Texas Tech
    • 7 or 8 wins is doable
    • We're gonna go undefeated!!!!!!
    • Top 25 Ranking at season end
    • Votes in the polls at season end

So how does everyone think this season will go? New QB, new RB, green WR's, virtually new OL. IMO the defense might get back on track this year. We should have a good secondary, and LB play should improve.

My prediction:

Texas Tech..............LOSS: If we score I'll consider it a moral victory.

Northwestern St.......LOSS: Similar to last year's UC-Davis game, closer than the score indicated, but we fall by 10-14 points.

Stephen F. Austin.......WIN: Kinda close, but the guys gain confidence and win in a squeaker like they should have @ SLU '08

South Dakota............WIN: 1st home game after 2 months of practice & games. USD will be good, but they fall by 13.

Stony Brook..............WIN: They have a good RB, but underestimate ND. Another Potato Bowl win. UND by 19.

Sioux Falls.................WIN: We treat them the same way we do other NAIA's and past OOC DII teams. A 44-7 win.

Southern Utah...........WIN: Revenge for last season's 2nd half debacle. A repeat of UND v. SUU '07. 39-17 win.

Cal Poly..................LOSS: A poor crowd on Halloween despite UND's biggest DI home game to date. 24-13 loss.

Southern Oregon........WIN: See Sioux Falls explanation. 44-3 win.

UC Davis...................WIN: Could go either way, but I see ND pulling it out in a close one. 27-23 win.

Central Arkansas......LOSS: Of all the recent DII move-ups, UCA is the one to imitate. They are good. ND falls 39-20.

I'm always an optimist when it comes to North Dakota, but I think a 7-4 season is probable. Maybe even 8-3. On the other hand, so is 6-5 or 5-6. I think the NSU, Poly, and Davis games could really go either way. Depending on what Poly does, a Great West title is obtainable. They are good, but they lost alot from last year, new head coach too. I have a feeling we are going to split against the CA schools. USD is my sleeper in the Great West. I'm confident we will beat them in GF, but they will have a good team this season. If the game were in Verm, I'd probably pick them this year, but it's not so I will pick ND. And I expect us to at least get votes in some of the polls by season's end. We got votes in most of the polls through the first 2/3 of last season. As we improve, the country should take notice.

I agree. 3-1 might be good for a share of the Great West. Two wins over the NAIA schools, a loss to Texas Tech, and split the FCS out of conference schedule...that sounds about right. I hope you're wrong about Cal-Poly attendance...plenty of time for trick-or-treating with the kiddos after the game!

Offense is going to be an unknown. A lot of first time starters.

Defense is going to be pretty solid. I am really excited about the Sioux Defense. They are young and they are talented. I was impressed with the 2-3 deep in some postions at the spring game. The defensive line is starting to gain back a lot of depth, the linebackers are athletic, and I can't say enough about the secondary. This could be like some years past where the defense can carry the offense. And the best part is the defense is young. 7-8 wins is very doable for this young team.

I'll be very interested to see whether the starting offense will be more or less the same as from the spring game (with the probable addition of Bondy), or whether we'll see some of the talented young players/newcomers such as Sutton or Davis or Anderson break into the starting lineup. Plus, will Bamba get himself out of the doghouse? He could be a difference-maker, as he showed some real playmaking ability last year.