SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname Speaks to Warriorship

GeauxSioux

I thought this was such a good piece that it deserved it's own topic.

VIEWPOINT: Nickname speaks to warriorship

But remember our strong responsible leaders, Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull? Both were killed by Indian police sent by white officers of the U.S. Calvary. Now, we are being duped into doing it to ourselves again: Kill the image. Kill the name. Then nobody has to remember we exist as a strong, accomplished and modern people with a history to be proud of.

The rules of political correctness are just another pox-infested blanket being offered to help us wipe ourselves off the face of the Earth. It means nobody has to admit to eliminating the Indian because we took the blanket into our own hands.

When I see or hear the name Fighting Sioux, I smile. I smile because people are reminded every day of a people who refuse to give up and go away.

The only thing offensive here is how political correctness has stolen the fight out of the tribal councils.

Keep the name. Keep the logo. Keep the legacy.

I thought this was such a good piece that it deserved it's own topic.

VIEWPOINT: Nickname speaks to warriorship

That is a great article by Mr. Harvey Uken and a another great piece by Douglas L. in the comment section. I have been a fan of Fighting Sioux sports since the 1970's, I've had nothing but the utmost respect for the Sioux name and always will. I have taught our 3 kids to honor the name and make sure they respect the name...our daughter is a senior in high school, she will be attending the University of North Dakota this fall wearing her Sioux apparell with pride.

That is a great article by Mr. Harvey Uken and a another great piece by Douglas L. in the comment section.

From the comment by author "Douglas L.":
I was determined to graduate from college to go back and help our Tribe strengthen it's sovereignty and to convince people that yes we can become a fully sovereign nation, were we can take care of our people, and the people can have the confidence in their own destiny.

I was determined to graduate from college to go back and help...Quite an admirable goal IMHO. As people continue to talk about scholarships for those from Spirit Lake and Standing Rock, hopefully the ideals that Douglas espouses will live on in the new generation.

Education is a powerful tool. I pray that we get to keep our name and logo but we should not tie the education, scholarships or Native American programs to them. We should not use education as a pawn or ransom to be used to keep what we believe to be ours.

...... were we can take care of our people, and the people can have the confidence in their own destiny. Sounds idealistic, but as anyone who grew up on the reservation knows we are quite capable of adjusting to new circumstances.

Speaking for myself. I have a great deal of respect for THE SIOUX both name & nation. This is someone from the GATORNATION. My respect goes back to 1973 when I was station at Grand Forks Air Force Base. Being from Florida it was a whole new experience altogether. Now having said all of that, when I went to a couple of UND football games & my first time ever seeing a hockey game live was at UND. The UND FIGHTING SIOUX will always be in my heart. Even though I went & graduate from the University of Florida thus the term "THE GATORNATION" I hope you understand that. Looking at UND & ND as a whole learning about the SIOUX NATION i'm glad that they are keeping the name & may it last for many many years to come.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

Another comment to Mr. Uken's piece from Dont C., Bismarck...

Mr. Fool Bear went on to say that the Tribes constitution recognizes the unwritten laws and customs and are in the main part of our constitution. The preamble makes the statement, the rules for council members states they can make motions pass resolutions and ordinances all within the limitations of the constitution and regulations. Fool Bear stated , Tribal Council passing a resolution against UND in essence have gone against the honoring and naming ceremonies and have gone against the Standing Rock Sioux Tribes unwritten laws and customs. The Tribes word should be made good, “our tribe gave them the right to use the name“ now the Council wants to take that away. What does that say for the Tribe, what does that say for the families who were involved, its like spitting in Chairman Agards’ face and the families of our spiritual leaders of the time.
Every time I read something like this, it strengthens my belief that Ron his Horse is Thunder truly does not speak for the people at Standing Rock. His fear of this issue being putting on referendum is understandable. He would lose. The more support for the name such as these comments in the Herald the stronger the voice is for the name and against the PC police.

Go Sioux!!!!