SiouxSports.com Forum

Automatic berth?

undchris

Can someone refresh my memory as to how long does it take before the NCAA recognizes a new conference (ie. Great West) with an automatic berth, for winning the conference title, into national tournaments?

Longer then any of us cares to think about. Great West will never work for post season. Zero chance of going anywhere

The opportunity to play for the NIT tourneys (either M or W) would be a nice incentive for the teams in the Great West to stick around for awhile. Possibly until they can qualify for the national stage in 2020. Although I really don't see UND or USD doing that anytime soon. Especially with USD getting the possible nod for the Summit and *shrugs* wherever UND will go, albeit the Summit also.

I have to believe that UND and USD are Summit bound and that Seattle and Chicago State will be going somewhere with an autobid after the next conference shake-up.

I really don't know about NJIT, Longwood, UT-PA, Houston Baptist or UV. If UV starts football, maybe the Big Sky.