SiouxSports.com Forum

Dean Blais going to a another D-1 school?

tho0505

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Dean coach the gophers and put ex-assistant coach Brad Berry on his staff.

They would love seeing a roster made up of half Candians. I want tickets to watch that. :D

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me wonder why he ever left UND. At the time I thought he was just done with coaching at the college level, but if he wants back in it now seems odd in retrospect that walked away from a job that he probably could have stayed at for virtually the rest of his life. I don't think anybody here would disagree that he had a lot of job security when he was at UND.

Coach Blais may have left for a number of reasons, reason which may include, but may not be limited to the following: 1) facing a new challenge of coaching in the NHL 2) a change of scenery after the death of his wife. Perhaps he thought a new chapter of his life was needed to be started outside of Grand Forks.

The issue isn't whether he's a good coach or not (Lucia), its how long UM can stand losing and not being first. Lucia in my EXPERT opinion is a great coach and a solid recruiter (getting blue chips that is), building a lasting team is what UM struggles with, no depth. In two years after mediocre seasons Lucia, frankly, is gone. No question. The way the fans have thrown Lucia under the bus this season is absolutely crazy. I would hope us Sioux fans would show more respect to Hakstol and the coaching staff. The question remains, who fills his position? You can't tell me that coaching the Fargo Force is ACTUALLY where Blais wants to be, its a stepping stone. Myself being extremely loyal, I would hope that Blais wouldnt go to the UM of all places....

It was one of my brothers workers but I am going to take some merit to what this ex-player had to say. I am also going to pose this question; If Lucia is a such a good coach why wasn't he able to get more out of a player like Blake Wheeler who is a legit ROY candidate in the NHL? It appears that some of

his ex-players have blossomed in the NHL in spite of him.

So when a former Gopher does well in the NHL it's in spite of Lucia's coaching? You are so biased sometimes it's embarrassing. You're the equivelent of Sean Hannity. Just like he is completely incapable of being objective about the left, you are just as incapable of being objective about the Gophers. Wheeler had a very productive three years at the U. Maybe not what you would expect of a fifth overall draft pick but Lucia can't control where he was drafted. The bottom line is that the three years Wheeler spent at the U clearly served him well as he is now thriving as a rookie in the NHL. You making this claim is no different than me saying Drew Stafford blossomed in spite of Blais and Hakstol. It just makes no sense.

So when a former Gopher does well in the NHL it's in spite of Lucia's coaching? You are so biased sometimes it's embarrassing. You're the equivalent of Sean Hannity. Just like he is completely incapable of being objective about the left, you are just as incapable of being objective about the Gophers. Wheeler had a very productive three years at the U. Maybe not what you would expect of a fifth overall draft pick but Lucia can't control where he was drafted. The bottom line is that the three years Wheeler spent at the U clearly served him well as he is now thriving as a rookie in the NHL. You making this claim is no different than me saying Drew Stafford blossomed in spite of Blais and Hakstol. It just makes no sense.

Skippy, Skippy, Skippy, you are the king of the straw man's argument. Last time I checked this is a Fighting Sioux message board, it is not a Gophers message board, I don't have to be objective. If you want to have a Gopher love feast go back to GPL, I am sure you can find enough people that want to talk about the brown and yellow rodents.

I am not going to give the goofs any props, never. I have listened to your fans, media, newspaper writers, bloggers and stupid television announcers rub the oppositions noses in the stench that is the Minnesota Gophers. I could give a rats butt what your horrible team is doing down in MPLS, in fact I am enjoying your season quite well thankyou. The fact remains is Lucia is at the helm for three sub par years, and in those three season there has been a serious gopher meltdown. I love watching all the so called experts spin and pontificate on the reason the Gophers are getting their butts kick up and down the ice. Based on all the talent that the Goofs have on their roster it's mind boggling to see any reason why this should happen. Hum, guess where the finger is pointiing? The coach.

Skippy, Skippy, Skippy, you are the king of the straw man's argument. Last time I checked this is a Fighting Sioux message board, it is not a Gophers message board, I don't have to be objective. If you want to have a Gopher love feast go back to GPL, I am sure you can find enough people that want to talk about the brown and yellow rodents.

I am not going to give the goofs any props, never. I have listened to your fans, media, newspaper writers, bloggers and stupid television announcers rub the oppositions noses in the stench that is the Minnesota Gophers. I could give a rats butt what your horrible team is doing down in MPLS, in fact I am enjoying your season quite well thankyou. The fact remains is Lucia is at the helm for three sub par years, and in those three season there has been a serious gopher meltdown. I love watching all the so called experts spin and pontificate on the reason the Gophers are getting their butts kick up and down the ice. Based on all the talent that the Goofs have on their roster it's mind boggling to see any reason why this should happen. Hum, guess where the finger is pointiing? The coach.

With ALL Your mentioning of the Gophers in your blog and this message board I could of swore you are a Gopher fan and this is a Gopher message board.

With ALL Your mentioning of the Gophers in your blog and this message board I could of swore you are a Gopher fan and this is a Gopher message board.

Do you see me giving them props? The only goofs players I give props to are Boston Bruins.

I'd speculate that the big reason that Blais left is that he was virtually guarantees a year off (NHL Lockout) with the pay of a head coach. It allowed him to spend a lot of time with his ailing wife. Blais was hired by Columbus as an associate head coach and was initially given a lot of assurances that he was going to be the next head coach in Columbus and was also paid as a head coach. When the new GM came into Columbus he cleaned house and was stuck with a scout (blais) making upwards of $300,000.

I know for a fact that the part of coaching that Blais enjoys is player development and he didn't get to do much of that at the NHL level. From what I've heard, he really likes working with young, kids who want to learn. He's very loves the fact that he is getting to build a team from scratch, and if you haven't been paying attention, he has a expansion team battling for home ice. He's also getting paid like a top end Div 1 coach so it's not going to be a money issue.

He's also expressed his interest in developing Fargo into a hockey first town. Now I'll admit he's got a long way to go, but if anyone can do it is Blais. He's also really trying to have an impact on the development of youth hockey in Fargo. He's become the face of Fargo hockey in a short period of time. The kids really think it is cool if Blais, or any of his Force players are around the rink (indoor or out). It has a way to go, but having Blais and the Force is going to positively impact hockey in Fargo.

First of all, you should want to be objective regardless of who your audience is.

Second, your inferiority complex runs much deeper than I thought.

And third, it's been one down year, not three. This season has been down so far but it's not over.

First of all, you should want to be objective regardless of who your audience is.

Second, your inferiority complex runs much deeper than I thought.

And third, it's been one down year, not three. This season has been down so far but it's not over.

Skippy, I do not have an inferiority complex. Second I could give three $#!ts about your team, but I have brough up some instances of silliness from your coach and from the blogger in MPLS that writes for the RED STAR and SICKLE in fact I am satisfied with the job your coach is doing down in Gooferville.

I just think it is funny sparing with the Gophers fans that think their coach is above criticism. Third if you call finishing the season 7th place in the WCHA acceptable that is pretty sad in my opinion. I wouldn't call this season that successful either especially if you miss the WCHA Final Five and the NCAA West Regional.

oh yeah this one is for you Skippy sieve: 7 > 5

Skippy, I do not have an inferiority complex. Second I could give three $#!ts about your team, in fact I am satisfied with the job your coach is doing down in Gooferville. I just think it is funny sparing with the Gophers fans that think their coach is above criticism. Third if you call finishing the season 7th place in the WCHA acceptable that is sad. I wouldn't call this season that successful either.

oh yeah this one is for you Skippy sieve: 7 > 5

If you don't care about the Gophers, Why do you write about them over and over on your blog and this message board. You may not give them props but you do talk about them alot.

oh yeah in regards to 7>5, I thought Gopher fans are the arrogant ones.

If you don't care about the Gophers, Why do you write about them over and over on your blog and this message board. You may not give them props but you do talk about them alot.

oh yeah in regards to 7>5, I thought Gopher fans are the arrogant ones.

Fixed your post.

Lucia isn't going anywhere unless his health is much worse than has been said, which I doubt. As for Blais, why would he want to coach at a university where he is restricted to coaching 18-year MN hockey players straight out of high school. tDean has too much class to use that as an excuse.

No one restricts who Lucia or any other Gopher coach recruits as long as they can meet the admission criteria. Where do you guys come up with that crap? Blais would take the U of Minn job if offered and recruit the best players he could to be successful.

Makes me wonder why he ever left UND. At the time I thought he was just done with coaching at the college level, but if he wants back in it now seems odd in retrospect that walked away from a job that he probably could have stayed at for virtually the rest of his life. I don't think anybody here would disagree that he had a lot of job security when he was at UND.

Googel: Bunning, Thomas (former UND atheltic Director).

No one restricts who Lucia or any other Gopher coach recruits as long as they can meet the admission criteria. Where do you guys come up with that crap? Blais would take the U of Minn job if offered and recruit the best players he could to be successful.

There have been rumors in the past the Gopher coaches are strongly encouraged to recruit Minnesota players and don't want

to have a lot of Candian on their team.

And that is exactly why buckysieve was right when he said you are not capable of being objective. You're consumed with irrational hatred and the myopic propaganda that you constantly spew both on this message board and your blog is an embarrassment.

Your the one that is an embarrassment with your silly assertions about there being no room for fighting in hockey and on and on. Buckysieve is a Gopher troll and you're a gopher fan posing as a Sioux fan.

If that is true, then please do the whole world a favor and don't say anything about them ever again. :D

You know what? Go away skippy, If I want to comment on something the Gophers do I will do it, this is Sioux hockey web page.

I don't remember when signing up that one HAS TO GIVE THE GOLDEN RODENTS PROPS.

And that is exactly why buckysieve was right when he said you are not capable of being objective. You're consumed with irrational hatred and the myopic propaganda that you constantly spew both on this message board and your blog is an embarrassment.

Yet you still read it.

I stand corrected

Wasn't Dean also mad about the current leadership at the REA at the time that he left UND?

I am not sure but I remember there being a few things that weighed on him that he decided to leave UND.

I think his wife being sick was one of the reason. There may have been some thing with the AD's office maybe?