SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Crookston

fightin'su

I am very interested to see how the running back position will pan out. Adam Roland is now the starter, and you have to be happy for a guy who has had to change back and forth between defensive back and running back several times. He's obviously a real "team" guy. He was an outstanding back at Wahpeton High School. Brandon Strouth has also apparently been very impressive.

I am also interested to see how Babington-Johnson can do in a real game. He's got great speed and can really get to the quarterback.

A few thoughts from today's game:

-Lueck could be a very exciting player. He certainly displayed some speed on his punt returns. The receiving corps in general appears to be very solid and deep, and Caleb Johnson didn't even play due to an injury (which isn't serious according to the radio guys).

-the corners will need to play far better against a good passing team like St. Cloud. There were a few occasions where the receivers were pretty open, even though it rarely resulted in a completion of any significance.

-the run defense should be very good again. Not that UMC is any kind of barometer, but I think the personnel is there.

-I was surprised that several starting offensive linemen played virtually the entire game. It would seem that this would have been a perfect opportunity to let some of the freshman get some time, even if they're probably at least a year away from being meaningful contributors.

-Lee Groeschl was a pretty impressive athlete, playing both wide receiver and returning some punts just a few weeks removed from being exclusively a quarterback. In addition to Groeschl, other freshman who had some good moments were Hoffschneider, Ullsperger, Babington-Johnson, Brennan, Greenwood, Strouth, Wolff, Schmitz and Ryan Manke. Hoffschneider actually started.

-a decent crowd considering the opponent. But I really hope this is the last time we see UMC. Ever.

the corners will need to play far better against a good passing team like St. Cloud.  There were a few occasions where the receivers were pretty open, even though it rarely resulted in a completion of any significance.

Absolutely. Any offense that UMC registered seemed like it was through the air. And wow... were there people open all over the place. A little talent in the arm & hands department would have made us look silly. LOTS of room for improvement, IMO. :glare: