SiouxSports.com Forum

Scott Rislov

UND92,96

Did anybody else get a chance to watch ex-Sioux quarterback Scott Rislov play for San Jose St. on ESPN2 last night? He played quite well, passing for over 320 yards and one td against I-AA Grambling. Last year, Rislov threw for over 3,200 yards, had a 61.2 completion percentage, and 22 touchdowns. It certainly would have been nice to have had him last year, not to mention this year.

Grambling made it look easy for him. I was watching the game at a bar where I couldn't always hear the sound, but I did catch the announcers ripping on D-IAA. While Montana probably would have put up more of a fight, Grambling is considered a decent I-AA team. I really only follow D-I majors and the NCC, so I've found games like this and UNC's matchup with Montana last year interesting to see where D-IAA fits in.

It's nice to see Rislov doing well at SJSU. While I have to admit it would be nice to have him, I'm honestly pretty excited about Bowenkamp this season. Nearly all of UND's losses last season were close games in which the Sioux had offensive production but that they failed to put away.

Grambling is considered middle of the pack, at best. They had the #1 offense in IAA last, but play in a conference that lacks any defense. For reference, the top IA offenses last year were Boise State, Marshall, Texas Tech, and Toledo. :glare: I guess the #1 offense stat is pretty worthless. The IAA boards were busy with people upset with ESPN stating Grambling was a top program in IAA.

Why did Rislov leave UND?

Anybody watch NDSU offensive coordinator Dan Enos lead Michigan State over Michigan on ESPN Classics today?

To the extent anyone cares to read any more about Grambling, they were ranked 8th in the final I-AA poll last year, for whatever that's worth.

Getting back to Rislov, he threw for 408 yards last year at Illinois, and for 265 at Ohio State so he has proven himself against good competition.

To the extent anyone cares to read any more about Grambling, they were ranked 8th in the final I-AA poll last year, for whatever that's worth.

I'll keep the off-topic short. Grambling is a HBC, they don't participate in the IAA playoffs, and Tony Moss (the only national poll anybody thinks is accurate in IAA) doesn't list Grambling in the top 25.

Back on topic- that still was an impressive outing for Scott

UND92,96 Posted on Aug 25 2003, 08:31 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will also drop the Grambling talk after this post, but I see where they were ranked 7th pre-season by the USA Today/ESPN poll, which is voted on by I-AA coaches.

From the game results I would say Saragin has a better perspective on Grambling and I-AA, than USA Today/ESPN. The Grambling talk isn't meant to down play Rislov's play. Grambling is probably over-rated by ESPN.