SiouxSports.com Forum

Retro Sioux gear

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

I apologize if this has already been covered.

But will UND be able to still sell "Sioux" merchandise as retro gear, despite there being a new nickname? (should we get a new nickname of course)

UND would continue to hold the legal rights to Fighting Sioux merchandise and I don't think the settlement with the NCAA addressed the issue of whether UND could continue to sell Fighting Sioux merchandise. But from a political standpoint, I highly doubt it would ever happen.

It seems like such a waste for UND to just sit on such valuable intellectual property rights. Maybe the University would sell the legal rights to a private company for a one-time fee. If not, I'm sure there will be some illegal options out there for people to get there hands on Sioux gear (not that I would ever condone such behavior).

UND would continue to hold the legal rights to Fighting Sioux merchandise and I don't think the settlement with the NCAA addressed the issue of whether UND could continue to sell Fighting Sioux merchandise. But from a political standpoint, I highly doubt it would ever happen.

It seems like such a waste for UND to just sit on such valuable intellectual property rights. Maybe the University would sell the legal rights to a private company for a one-time fee. If not, I'm sure there will be some illegal options out there for people to get there hands on Sioux gear (not that I would ever condone such behavior).

The University of Illinois continues to hold the copyright or trademark to the Chief Illiniwek symbol. They licensed it to a specific "retro" clothing manufacturer, but I have yet to see any of their products. So a retro clothing maker does exist: how hard the University tries to market this logo may be a different story.

Interestingly, last fall the University enforced their rights against several people who had portrayed Illiniwek in the past. Talk about angering the most loyal of your alumni.....
:huh:

I would think that Bennett Brien would be able to sell stuff with his artwork on it as long as it didn't have ties to the University.

He probably couldn't sell anything with the current logo. I am pretty sure that the ownership rights belong to the University. He could create something similar (unless a contract prohibited it). But it would have to be different in some way to prevent it from being a copyright infringement.

He probably couldn't sell anything with the current logo. I am pretty sure that the ownership rights belong to the University. He could create something similar (unless a contract prohibited it). But it would have to be different in some way to prevent it from being a copyright infringement.

I don't see any reason why he couldn't paint/draw a homage to the current Chicago Blackhawks logo. Or a interpretation of well-known historical images, from his own point of view.

I'm guessing he couldn't put the word "Sioux" on the product, but he probably could get away with using the name of a state in the USA.

AFAIK, colors really can't be copyrighted.