SiouxSports.com Forum

OT: Blaster worm

sioux fan in phoenix

Thx, sprig, just trying to get some feedback.

Note to other users on a different topic: For MS users there's a windows virus that particularly affects XP

users; it's called the "w32blaster worm". Common

complaints are that it causes one's computer to restart after being on only a few minutes.

I called Microsoft & they gave me the following website to do a "patch":

Microsoft updates

The tech staff told me that once I'm there I should click the "review & install updates" section; they also said that anti-virus software hasn't been successful in combatting this.

Note to other users on a different topic: For MS users there's a windows virus that particularly affects XP

users; it's called the "w32blaster worm". Common

complaints are that it causes one's computer to restart after being on only a few minutes.

This worm is wreaking havoc with the farm program network down the hall from me. If you don't know for sure if you've dl'ed and installed it (the ms security update), it will be listed in add/remove programs as patch #823980.

If you don't know for sure if you've dl'ed and installed it (the ms security update), it will be listed in add/remove programs as patch #823980.

I took the route of clicking 'All Products' on the main page & then 'Downloads' from that. Hopefully that helps but there are probably other avenues, as well.

The only thing is I haven't found it listed in add/remove programs so I'm wondering if I downloaded it correctly.

Edit: I looked around & found that I saved it to a file called 'My Documents' but not 'add/remove programs'. Is this ok &, if not, does anybody know how I save it to the 'add/remove programs' section?

The only thing is I haven't found it listed in add/remove programs so I'm wondering if I downloaded it correctly.

Edit: I looked around & found that I saved it to a file called 'My Documents' but not 'add/remove programs'. Is this ok &, if not, does anybody know how I save it to the 'add/remove programs' section?

Once you download the patch (I guess you're downloading an .EXE file?) you have to run it by double-clicking on it. Sprig seemed to be indicating that once you actually run the patching program to install the patch, you'll see an entry for Windows Hotfix #823980 in the Add/Remove programs. I think that varies somewhat by which version of Windows you have, though.

If you use Windows Update to download critical patches, it will automatically install any new patches for your version of Windows so you don't have to go through all of this hassle of manual downloading. To do that you can go under the Tools menu in IE and select Windows Update. If you do that every couple weeks, you'll probably be patched against any flaws before exploits exist (for example, this patch has actually been available for a month, though the exploit just showed up this week).

Has anyone here gotten it? I was in the Union today and 3 times I got a message that said the NT Authority was shutting down my system, then there was a 1 minute countdown and my computer restarted. I was using the UND ethernet connection. I'm not having any trouble now though at home. Note...there is a lot of construction going on in the Union right now, so that could have something to do with it, but I am by no means a computer expert.

Has anyone here gotten it?

For me, no (knock on wood).

Best to download & run a "patch" via the above MS link to prevent anything from happening. One of the complaints of this virus is that it causes a computer to restart automatically among other things. You can go to the "tools" section in IE & do a windows update from there, as well. Jim Dahl, the moderator, helped me with it.

I was in the Union today and 3 times I got a message that said the NT Authority was shutting down my system, then there was a 1 minute countdown and my computer restarted.

That computer was infected with the worm. How do I know? My comp had it, but I got rid of it right away. The worm broadcasts that your computer is vulnerable to hackers! If you have a firewall, you should be able to catch it immediately. I was not smart enough to have my firewall activated, but now I do!

Firewalled or not, you need to install the patch if you run win 2000 sp2, win xp, win server 2003, or nt4 to plug the security hole that allows the blaster worm to gain access. Win 95, 98, 98SE, and ME are not affected.

In addition (not related to the blaster worm vulnerability), if you install file and print sharing, don't bind it to tcp/ip.