SiouxSports.com Forum

give Landry a shot vs. USD?

UND92,96

Just a thought, but might it make sense to rotate quarterbacks every second or third series vs. USD? I'm not sure we really want to head into next season with a quarterback who hasn't taken a meaningful snap since the Grand Valley game in '07.

Forgive me for making a Minnesota Vikings analogy...

As a Vikings fan, I was annoyed to see Frerotte get the start. If the team isn't going to win playoff games, their remaining goal should be trying to build a future team that will. Tarvaris may not be the QB of the future, but Frerotte surely is not. Nonetheless, Frerotte is getting the play because it's the best chance of the team finishing > .500 this season, perhaps earning a playoff spot, and Coach Childress getting to keep his job for another year. As a fan who wanted to see the team rebuilding into a playoff contender, I saw it as a lost season because Frerotte is not the QB of the future and the team will have to face that music next year. Of course, I will be forced to retract all such complaints when Frerotte leads them deep into the playoffs. :(

Back to UND -- I wonder how the goals of getting a GWFC win and finishing the season with an over .500 record counterbalance with the goal of building a team for the future. I would guess goal #1 is going to be to do everything possible to get a win and finish 6-4 instead of 5-5.

Forgive me for making a Minnesota Vikings analogy...

As a Vikings fan, I was annoyed to see Frerotte get the start. If the team isn't going to win playoff games, their remaining goal should be trying to build a future team that will. Tarvaris may not be the QB of the future, but Frerotte surely is not. Nonetheless, Frerotte is getting the play because it's the best chance of the team finishing > .500 this season, perhaps earning a playoff spot, and Coach Childress getting to keep his job for another year. As a fan who wanted to see the team rebuilding into a playoff contender, I saw it as a lost season because Frerotte is not the QB of the future and the team will have to face that music next year. Of course, I will be forced to retract all such complaints when Frerotte leads them deep into the playoffs. :(

Back to UND -- I wonder how the goals of getting a GWFC win and finishing the season with an over .500 record counterbalance with the goal of building a team for the future. I would guess goal #1 is going to be to do everything possible to get a win and finish 6-4 instead of 5-5.

Good points, but the other side of my thinking is that the Sioux offense is struggling pretty badly right now. Not that it's entirely Freund's fault, but with Landry you have more of a chance to stretch the field because of his arm strength. I would still play Freund in the finale, but I tend to think giving Landry some snaps may be a positive both in terms of seeing what he can do for the future, and giving their defense something else to think about. I love the thought of Landry chucking it deep to Bamba a la Cunningham to Moss circa 1998 (I had to fit in my own Vikes analogy :( ).

Good points, but the other side of my thinking is that the Sioux offense is struggling pretty badly right now. Not that it's entirely Freund's fault, but with Landry you have more of a chance to stretch the field because of his arm strength. I would still play Freund in the finale, but I tend to think giving Landry some snaps may be a positive both in terms of seeing what he can do for the future, and giving their defense something else to think about. I love the thought of Landry chucking it deep to Bamba a la Cunningham to Moss circa 1998 (I had to fit in my own Vikes analogy :( ).

The argument that trying Landry instead of relying solely on Freund is the more likely way to get that win is an entirely different, and intriguing one.

Eh.......I'm a firm believer in playing the guy that gives you the best chance to win the next game. I think Freund is that guy. I don't think Freund's play has been the cause of any of the losses this season, despite the less productive offensive numbers over the past three games.

As far as getting Landry game experience for next year, that probably should have been done earlier in the season when we had some wins by a large margin by getting him into those games earlier. And as a big fan of Freund, I don't think it would be fair to do that to a senior QB in his last game just to get the next guy a little game experience for the following season. Also, I don't see a huge benefit in a guy getting to take some game snaps on a few series 9 months before the next game.

Freund also played very sparingly in his sophomore season when everyone knew he would be taking over the reigns as a junior.

And guys, please don't use the Purple as an analogy when discussing my beloved Fighting Sioux. :(

Go Patriots!!! :(

Eh.......I'm a firm believer in playing the guy that gives you the best chance to win the next game. I think Freund is that guy. I don't think Freund's play has been the cause of any of the losses this season, despite the less productive offensive numbers over the past three games.

As far as getting Landry game experience for next year, that probably should have been done earlier in the season when we had some wins by a large margin by getting him into those games earlier. And as a big fan of Freund, I don't think it would be fair to do that to a senior QB in his last game just to get the next guy a little game experience for the following season. Also, I don't see a huge benefit in a guy getting to take some game snaps on a few series 9 months before the next game.

Freund also played very sparingly in his sophomore season when everyone knew he would be taking over the reigns as a junior.

And guys, please don't use the Purple as an analogy when discussing my beloved Fighting Sioux. :(

Go Patriots!!! :(

I think there may be some NDSU fans who would disagree. ;)

Freund has been a good quarterback for us the past two years. But over the past three games (obviously all losses), his touchdown to interception ratio is just 1:1, and he's been sacked 15 times. Those are the kinds of numbers I'd expect from a young quarterback, not a senior. He's holding the ball too long in many cases, and he's trying to make some things happen that aren't there, resulting in very costly int's. I'd just really like to see whether Landry has progressed from a year ago. I thought he showed some positive signs against Grand Valley. I'm not convinced that practice alone tells the coaches what they need to know about a player (especially a quarterback), or else Mertens probably wouldn't have been counted on 100% by NDSU this year, and Reed Manke probably wouldn't have had to wait as long as he did to become UND's starting quarterback a few years ago. I think Freund deserves to start and play at least half the game against USD, but maybe not take ALL of the snaps unless he's producing like he did last year and earlier this year.

I thought Jake deserved a shot somewhere in the 3rd Quarter in th SU game, change of pace...? Danny has struggled of late, sometimes you need to try a relief pitcher....(imo)

I agree that he has struggled(part of which is due to no protection on the O line at times). Danny has been great for the program and I greatly thank him for his time as a Fighting Sioux, but I agree, give Landry a few series to "taste" what it is like at a higher level.

I agree that he has struggled(part of which is due to no protection on the O line at times). Danny has been great for the program and I greatly thank him for his time as a Fighting Sioux, but I agree, give Landry a few series to "taste" what it is like at a higher level.

I've had this dicussion with several Head Coaches, I do not understand why we do not do a better job of preparing these athletes in competetion type circumstances. We rotate DB's, LB's, DL, RB's, WR's......and we can not give the Qb at least a couple of series a game, other than mop up duty......?

I feel the same way with all sports, they need to taste little bits of the real competetion (quality minutes here and there) to improve.

Danny has been fantastic (KKlosterman like) at times for the Sioux, but are Jake's 1st snaps under fire since Grand Valley going to be at Texas Tech next year......that would be unfair and a shame.