• Augustana
    • Minnesota State-Mankato
    • Nebraska-Omaha
    • North Dakota
    • North Dakota State
    • South Dakota
    • South Dakota State
    • St. Cloud State

St. Cloud State most likely, followed by UNO.

I'd be very surprised if UNO finished as high as second. With Pat Behrns at the helm, they have enough trouble winning when they have exceptional talent, and I don't see the talent level on next year's team as being any better than average. They weren't particularly good last year, and lost several key players, especially from the offensive line. Their defense appears quite suspect, after giving up 30 or more points in a game five times. They also have to travel to both GF and Fargo this year. With relatively mediocre talent and the usual lack of discipline that Behrns' teams generally exhibit, it may be long year in Omaha.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think NDSU will have a strong team this year. Their fans have to like what they're seeing with the new staff. A little house cleaning and some fresh attitudes will go a long way for them this year, IMO.

It looks like October 18 will prove to be another great battle for the nickle! ;)

Actually I think NDSU has done a lot of house cleaning. I think one of the biggest questions for NDSU will be the O-line. If that comes together we should be a contender. As I have said before, if NDSU comes out of its first 3 games 2-1 or better, the Bison will be a national contender. I am really looking forward to fall and the start of football season. I almost hate to say it, but I am ready to bid summer goodbye.......

SCSU? I dont think so, the road may be too tough for them. If we had more home games mabye. But Selke Field is not much of a home. I can't wait for the new stadium to be completed! So UND fans please pull for SCSU if you guys are out of it because the SCSU commuinty pulls for UND over NDSU every time. And how can you stand Bison Kent's speculation about D-I? Every day a new scerenio with him.

huskies679,

Where is the speculations? I may have had some differences that were based on new information but never daily.

That was way off topic anyway. NDSU has added two Mississippi JUCO transfers; one being a small, speedster (runs a 4.4-40) and another is a DT. I still think St. Cloud is the team to beat this year even if huskies679 doesn't.

Here is my order of finishing:

St. Cloud 6-1 (9-2) one NCC loss to South Dakota State

NDSU 6-1 (8-3) one loss in NCC to St. Cloud

UND 5-2 (8-2) two NCC losses to St. Cloud and NDSU

huskies679 Posted on Jul 14 2003, 08:46 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....So UND fans please pull for SCSU if you guys are out of it because the SCSU commuinty pulls for UND over NDSU every time.

Most of the SCSU grads I know and people from St Cloud, don't really care about SCSU football as much as they care about hockey. They are more into the Gopher/Huskies rivalry. I have never heard one of them say anythng bad about UND or NDSU. But that is only the dozen or so that I know.

I know lots and lots of SCSU fans and alums. And those of us CLOSE to SCSU Athletics don't like NDSU and respect UND. My lack of respect for NDSU comes from the Rocky H days. At that time NDSU had (and has) a great tradition but was also the most classless program around. NDSU had a reputation for its players being thugs, drunks. Not to mention the profanity in the stands. Much like a SCSU hockey mob. (they sicken me too)

Some school in the NCC focus on class STUDENT athletes and will only compete for a championship once in a while. Some schools are factories. NDSU will never live the Rocky days down.

I follow college sports at all levels and I honestly do not see the luster in DIAA football. However DI basketball would excite me.

huskies679 Posted on Jul 14 2003, 10:52 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know lots and lots of SCSU fans and alums. And those of us CLOSE to SCSU Athletics don't like NDSU and respect UND. My lack of respect for NDSU comes from the Rocky H days. At that time NDSU had (and has) a great tradition but was also the most classless program around. NDSU had a reputation for its players being thugs, drunks. Not to mention the profanity in the stands. Much like a SCSU hockey mob. (they sicken me too)

Some school in the NCC focus on class STUDENT athletes and will only compete for a championship once in a while. Some schools are factories. NDSU will never live the Rocky days down.

I follow college sports at all levels and I honestly do not see the luster in DIAA football. However DI basketball would excite me. 

Sorry you feel that way, you are probably happy to see NDSU moving on. The driving force is not the luster of I-AA football, but the lack of luster remaining in Division II.

Yeah, Huskies697, sorry you feel that way but having a rep for something doesn't make it fact.

NDSU might never show up on SCSU's schedule again after this year so isn't time to find yourself a young priest and an old priest and exorcise those "Rocky" demons?

Not to disrupt a perfectly good flame-war between Huskies and Bison (on the Sioux board), but I'd like to toss out a couple of thoughts on the original subject of this thread.

Looking back at results from 1998 on, only four teams have improved their number of conference wins over the prior year by more than two wins:

2002: UNC (+4)

2002: SCSU (+3)

2000: UNO (+4)

2000: USD (+3)

In three of those four cases the team had had an improved record (in terms of conference wins) the prior season as well (2001: UNC +1, SCSU +2; 1999: UNO -3, USD +2)

Predicting NDSU or UND to improve by three or more wins this season seems to be dangerous, especially considering last year UND and NDSU both went -4 (7-1 to 3-5; 5-3 to 1-7).

Picking either UND or NDSU to add three or more conference wins this season seems rather presumptious in light of conference history.

Now I'm not saying adding +3 or more is out of the question for either, but history leads me to believe you have to turn the corner (a season with a smaller positive result) and then make the big jump (ala 2002 UNC and SCSU and 2000 USD).

I expect SCSU to hold around one or two conference losses (plus one non-conf) and to be the sole NCC representative in the DII playoffs.

I have trouble predicting teams with five or more conference losses last year to challenge SCSU this year. I expect a sleeper, a surprise, to challenge SCSU with UND and NDSU coming in just behind them. Now the question is: Who's going to be the surprise team this year? Guess we'll all find out together in a few months.

With just seven conference games each loss seems so much more amplified.

Sicatoka-

I don't necessarily disagree with you that it's a little presumptuous that we UND fans, along with NDSU fans, are predicting that our respective teams are going to all of sudden return to glory after very poor 2002 seasons. But with UNC gone, and UNO also coming off a mediocore year without a lot of proven talent returning, and Mankato, USD, Augie and SDSU all having issues of their own, I almost think UND and NDSU have to be picked in the top 3, along with SCSU, by default.

UND has questions with its running back situation, lack of consistency at kicker, and in the middle of the defensive line. NDSU has questions with its offensive line, lack of a consistent running game, and a defense that gave up an average of nearly 29 points per game last year. But I'm not sure there's going to be anyone else in the NCC, other than SCSU, who is any better on paper. Plus, UND does have a very favorable home schedule, if they can take advantage of it.

I'd go with St. Cloud to win and UND to take 2nd. There are just too many questions about NDSU right now to pick them higher than third and that's a stretch.

I think that the only thing that could give NDSU a win over SCSU is a pre-game lecture on class by Huskie769 entitled "You Are Bunch of Drunken Thugs (and I Hate and Disrespect You Because of Rocky)." Anybody know what he charges for public appearances? :)

Tony- I never said hate, you did. And the drunken thug reference was about the past. I don't know if things have changed in Fargo but I do know that NDSU has a poor reputation in the NCC.

Look at the NCC All-Acedemic Football Teams over the last four years, NDSU 2 PLAYERS. UND 27 players over the last four years #1 in NCC. I was shocked. (SCSU 12) I think this is also a reflection of the type of athlete different schools recruit.

And Tony I do not make public appearances and if I did it would not be in Fargo.

Sorry Huskie679, I wasn't trying to put words into your mouth; I was only trying to give you ideas for a motivational speech. Since this year's game is in St. Cloud on Nov. 8, you wouldn't have to come to Fargo to give the boys a scolding. I take it that you do not like Fargo either.

Take heart, your nightmarish association with NDSU is about to come to end. I imagine it will be a relief akin to having an abscessed tooth removed for not only you but also the many NCC and SCSU folks you are speaking on behalf of. Uh, that last bit was me being ironic - never ever take me seriously, H679.