18. Georgia Southern (16)

19. Central Arkansas (21)

20. The Citadel (20)

21. Western Illinois (19)

22. Furman (24)

23. Eastern Illinois (22)

24. Harvard (NR)

25. Liberty (NR)

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Youngstown St. (54), Yale (36), Northern Arizona (35), Sam Houston St. (28), Eastern Kentucky (20), UC Davis (19), Hampton (18), Albany (17), Montana St. (17), South Carolina St. (17), Holy Cross (15), Fordham (11), Jacksonville St. (11), Tennessee St. (10), Univ. North Dakota (7), Dayton (6), Delaware St. (6), William & Mary (6), Prairie View A&M (5), Weber St. (5)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: James Madison

MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Massachusetts

FCS Coaches Poll

1. Appalachian State (17)

2. North Dakota State (9)

3. Richmond

4. Montana (2)

5. James Madison

6. Delaware

7. Northern Iowa

8. McNeese State

9. Massachusetts

10. New Hampshire

11. Cal Poly

12. Wofford

13. South Dakota State

T-14. Georgia Southern

T-14. Southern Illinois

16. Central Arkansas

17. Eastern Washington

18. Elon

19. Villanova

20. Eastern Illinois

21. Western Illinois

22. The Citadel

23. Furman

24. Youngstown State

25. Liberty

Other Receiving Votes (points in parentheses): Harvard (40), Northern Arizona (31), South Carolina State (26), Hampton (20), Jacksonville State (19), Sam Houston State (17), Delaware State (16), Montana State (15), Tennessee State (10), Maine (9), Sacramento State (8), Prairie View A&M (8), UC Davis (8), Eastern Kentucky (8), North Dakota (7), Holy Cross (6), San Diego (6), Weber State (5), Yale (4), Dayton (2), Lafayette (2), Fordham (1), Northeastern (1), Florida A&M (1).

I still have to shake my head at the fact that South Dakota St. is presently a consensus top-15 team (and maybe better than that). John Stiegelmeier has been the head coach there since 1997, and if you look at his record, SDSU was a 7-4 type program year in and year out as an NCC school, and they've been the same as an FCS school. Stiegelmeier was 1-6 vs. UND. They also were very slow to add scholarships after going dI. So my question is, is this just one of those flukey things (a perennially unranked dII program is now a pretty strong FCS program under the same coach), or is this more or less proof that UND should be an FCS power rather quickly?

TSN Poll

1. Appalachian State Mountaineers (96) 1-1 2,668 1

2. Richmond Spiders (1) 2-1 2,452 4

3. North Dakota State Bison (5) 2-1 2,417 2

4. Montana Grizzlies (7) 2-0 2,355 5

5. James Madison Dukes (2) 2-1 2,294 7

6. Delaware Blue Hens (1) 1-1 2,027 6

7. McNeese State Cowboys 1-1 1,920 8

8. Northern Iowa Panthers 1-1 1,905 9

9. Massachusetts Minutemen 2-1 1,677 3

10. New Hampshire Wildcats (1) 2-0 1,535 10

11. Wofford Terriers 2-0 1,458 12

12. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 2-1 1,448 13

13. Cal Poly Mustangs 1-1 1,337 14

14. Eastern Washington Eagles 0-2 1,271 16

15. Southern Illinois Salukis 1-1 1,201 11

16. Georgia Southern Eagles 2-1 1,030 17

17. Elon Phoenix 2-1 962 18

18. Central Arkansas Bears 3-0 945 19

19. Villanova Wildcats 1-1 740 21

20. Western Illinois Leathernecks 1-2 618 15

21. The Citadel Bulldogs 1-1 445 22

22. Eastern Illinois Panthers 1-2 415 20

23. Liberty Flames 3-0 248 25

24. Furman Paladins 2-1 244 NR

25. Tennessee State Tigers 3-0 194 NR

Others receiving votes: Harvard 185, Youngstown State 170, Northern Arizona 146, Delaware State 96, Yale 87, Holy Cross 86, South Carolina State 56, Jacksonville State 49, Sam Houston State 44, Prairie View 29, Norfolk State 27, Northwestern State 26, UC Davis 23, Sacramento State 22, Hampton 21, Weber State 20, Eastern Kentucky 18, San Diego 16, Dayton 15, Albany 12, Lafayette 11, Brown 10, Montana State 9, North Dakota 5, Sacred Heart 4, Florida A&M 3, Southeastern Louisiana 2, Maine 1, Nicholls State 1, William & Mary 1.

I still have to shake my head at the fact that South Dakota St. is presently a consensus top-15 team (and maybe better than that). John Stiegelmeier has been the head coach there since 1997, and if you look at his record, SDSU was a 7-4 type program year in and year out as an NCC school, and they've been the same as an FCS school. Stiegelmeier was 1-6 vs. UND. They also were very slow to add scholarships after going dI. So my question is, is this just one of those flukey things (a perennially unranked dII program is now a pretty strong FCS program under the same coach), or is this more or less proof that UND should be an FCS power rather quickly?

SDSU is playing well to start off this season. I don't take more out of it than that. If SDSU wins a national title or loses the rest of their games, UND will still be a good FCS team.

I do think the move up has landed SDSU some better players than their d-2 days though.

SDSU is playing well to start off this season. I don't take more out of it than that. If SDSU wins a national title or loses the rest of their games, UND will still be a good FCS team.

I do think the move up has landed SDSU some better players than their d-2 days though.

I have been impressed with SDSU since they moved. While NDSU has an extremely successful transition, I have been more impressed with SDSU given the fact that as far as football goes, they weren't a world-beater in DII. Their women's basketball team has been the most successful ex-NCC team to move to DI if you ask me. I like to think that it just means that the top half of the NCC, pre-2002, were very very good in DII. I don't think that it is a cooincidence that UNC is the former NCC team of the first three to move that has struggled so badly. UNC, at best, is the 5th most significant university in Colorado. NDSU, SDSU, UND, and USD could all be considered "flagships", and really are the only thing going in North Dakota and South Dakota. I think that has done wonders for recruiting. When it all comes down to it, the players for any given school are the reason for whatever type of success is acheived.

I have no idea how Sagarin's computer rankings work, but it's amazing to me that he has UND at #22 among all FCS schools considering our schedule so far.

While you and I know before the season begins that beating SCSU should give you less credit than beating Ohio St, a strictly mathematical model that only examined this season wouldn't. To interject some of that human-like intuition and produce a somewhat meaningful ranking from week 1, most of them initialize each team with some credit for last year's results.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that UND finished around the 23rd FCS school last season.

I have no idea how Sagarin's computer rankings work, but it's amazing to me that he has UND at #22 among all FCS schools considering our schedule so far.

Sagarin only counts games against DI teams- therefore in his eyes UND is "0-0" this year. I don't know how he set your preseason rating (which would be your current rating) as well. Generally after 5 games/weeks the major rankings- sag, massey etc, are based entirely off the current season's results.

Sagarin only counts games against DI teams- therefore in his eyes UND is "0-0" this year. I don't know how he set your preseason rating (which would be your current rating) as well. Generally after 5 games/weeks the major rankings- sag, massey etc, are based entirely off the current season's results.

So I'm assuming that basically UND's current ranking is based almost entirely on the Southern Utah win last year, possibly along with the fact that Western Washington beat UC-Davis, and UND beat Western Washington last year?