SiouxSports.com Forum

Belfour

The Sicatoka

Congratulations to Ed Belfour! He has become just the second man ever to complete the hockey Trifecta!

What is that? An NCAA title, a Stanley Cup, an Olympic gold medal.

Ed Belfour:

2002 Olympic gold medal (Canada)

1999 Stanley Cup (Dallas)

1987 NCAA D-I Championship (U of North Dakota)

The only other to do this?

Neil Broten

1995 Stanley Cup (New Jersey)

1980 Olympic gold medal (USA)

1979 NCAA D-I Championship (U of Minnesota)

On a side note, if Team USA had won Chris Drury (1995 at Boston U, Colorado Stanley Cup) would have the Trifecta. But alas, silver for Drury, Trifecta for Eddie!

Cool.  I'd noticed a discussion in Hockey-L about the trifecta + Hobey, of which the only winner was Broten.

However, it seemed a little unfair to include the Hobey (an individual honor) and not any of the NHL individual honors a player can win.  Eddie has won a couple of Vezinas and a Calder in the NHL.

One could argue his merits, but I'm not sure Broten won any individual honors in the NHL.

Actually, if the US would have won Drury would have been ahead of Broten as Drury won the Calder Trophy for outstanding rookie his first season in the NHL.  Broten did not.  That is, if we followed Jim's suggestion of including NHL individual awards as well as the Hobey.

Leif