SiouxSports.com Forum

Brady Trenbeath

13Sioux

I believe first year he medical red shirted after a neck injury in high school his senior year, then red shirted the next, and the last two years he played counting as his freshmen and sophomore years. But I believe now since UND is moving to division I they are much stricter on the medical red shirt and that was taken away from him so instead of being a Junior he is now a senior. I could be wrong about that.

I believe first year he medical red shirted after a neck injury in high school his senior year, then red shirted the next, and the last two years he played counting as his freshmen and sophomore years. But I believe now since UND is moving to division I they are much stricter on the medical red shirt and that was taken away from him so instead of being a Junior he is now a senior. I could be wrong about that.

I think you are correct

I think you are correct

I believe this is the case, however I have heard there is an appeal process that he and the coaching staff are going to try their hardest to push. In division II you have 6 years to compete in 4 years and this was the plan with Brady since he came in with a broken neck his first year. He took a medical the first and also redshirted the 2nd year to make sure it was fully healed. In division I you 5 years to compete in 4 years. So this is where the grey area exists since his eligiblity has landed between both divisions. Let's hope the sioux get this figured out and he gets another year. It would be a terrible shame if he got robbed a year and a tremendous loss to the sioux!!

Was his 2nd red shirt a result of the 1st one or just the standard red-shirt? Because this quote: "The NCAA allows up to two medical exemptions, meaning a student-athlete could be eligible for six years with a legitimate reason" seems to state that he should have the opportunity to be only a junior, if in fact the red-shirts were related.

NCAA Eligibilty

Was his 2nd red shirt a result of the 1st one or just the standard red-shirt? Because this quote: "The NCAA allows up to two medical exemptions, meaning a student-athlete could be eligible for six years with a legitimate reason" seems to state that he should have the opportunity to be only a junior, if in fact the red-shirts were related.

NCAA Eligibilty

If he actually used a medical his first year, he'll probably be considered a senior. DI rules are a lot more strict, especially with the 4 in 5 rule. If a student-athlete is injured in DI, it seems (at least watching NDSU's situation) that the NCAA requires the student-athlete to use up their redshirt season first. If the redshirt was already used, they may or may not grant a medical redshirt, but it seems like it's more often not. NDSU had more than a couple student-athletes lose a year of eligibility due to the difference in medical redshirts between DII and DI.

FWIW-real world example for UND fans would be the OL from SDSU that transferred to UND a year or two ago. His eligibility was gone in DI, but he could still play in DII.