SiouxSports.com Forum

1460 Days to go...

SiouxMD

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh oh, I promised SiouxMD I'd keep up the countdown while he was out for a couple weeks, guess that's started already. I'll try, but seriously folks, feel free to jump in and help :)

For yesterday, Feb. 19

The Sioux men's hockey team began their now infamous mid-season turnaround in 2008-09 with a sweep over Harvard, capped when Frattin scored the GWG with 12:27 remaining.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.d...;ATCLID=3629574

Let's visit another Sioux alum...

Jody Garry

PapernoGarryJody.jpg

She proved to be a powerhouse for the Fighting Sioux at the University of North Dakota where she started at outside hitter from 1992-1995.A two-time team captain, Garry earned first team All-North Central Conference honors and led the team in hitting percentage in 1995.She was also the team leader in kills in 1994 (293) and 1995 (393) and remains the last Sioux player to lead the team in kills in consecutive years.Still prominently listed in the UND career record books, Garry ranks eighth in kills (1,085), seventh in total attempts (2,973), and seventh in digs (1,222).

According to an American Indian Sports Team Mascots opinion piece from 2002:

I've got to think that number is lower now, since at the time they claimed there were 88 at the college/university level with Indian mascots.

I notice them all over here in the south. The school district I work for is the "Warriors" and they have an Indian head for a logo. Same thing for two of our main rivals. I have yet to hear anything about changing those nicknames in the 4 years I've lived down here.

If you're staying in the Canad Inn in Grand Forks, you may want to stay in:

Fighting Sioux Executive Suite 1214

This two-room twelfth-floor suite highlights the Fighting Sioux using the great green color in the carpet of the business room area. This separate room has a boardroom style table and six boardroom chairs for those small meetings. Additional chairs sporting the Fighting Sioux brand and themed pictures add the finishing touch to this area. Our separate bedroom with its own washroom is adorned with special Fighting Sioux items. If required, an adjoining room can be utilized further expanding the business effect for this specialty suite