SiouxSports.com Forum

Strib to revist its "ban" on using Indian nickname

ScottM

The very myopic, often liberal StarTribune has apparently decided to drop its "ban" on Indian nicknames in articles. This is especially shocking as I don't recall an article where they didn't refer to UND's teams as the "Fighting Sioux" or "Sioux". It's especially asinine that they might refer to the "Cleveland Indians" as the "Cleveland indians". I'm glad I don't waste the money to subscribe to this rag, but find myself wasting time reading the online edition.

Strib

The very myopic, often liberal StarTribune has apparently decided to drop its "ban" on Indian nicknames in articles. This is especially shocking as I don't recall an article where they didn't refer to UND's teams as the "Fighting Sioux" or "Sioux". It's especially asinine that they might refer to the "Cleveland Indians" as the "Cleveland indians". I'm glad I don't waste the money to subscribe to this rag, but find myself wasting time reading the online edition.

Strib

There was a ban??...I lived there for 19 years and not once did I hear of this, or even see it implemented. When I was there for the Final Five they used the Sioux logo in the paper.

I can't remember the exact time when the "ban" went into place, but I think it was at the height of the PC movement, in the late 80s-early 90s when the goobers forced Minnesota High Schools to change their names from Indian-related names to something more "acceptable" to the white liberals in MSP. In any event, I do not recall a single article where UND's teams were featured that did not include "Sioux" or "Fighting Sioux" even at the peak of the name change controversy when REA was being built. And that battle did generate some serious ink here. Indeed, I also believe that the Strib used the "Redskins" name a few times during the last NFL season, as well as "Braves", "Chiefs", "Seminoles", "Illini", etc.

As expected, the Star Tribune decided to drop it's ban on printing team names that it deems racially controversial. The new policy seems to more precisely meet the Strib's goal of disapproving of the names while still reporting the facts of the news.

There's also a Fox editorial on the change (BTW Fox -- sloppy research, the town is named Grand Forks, plural).

Ban my a.. butt. The Strib's continued use/inclusion of Indian names, in spite of its "ban" merely shows the pathetic editorial caliber of the paper. Hell, if the NY Times and Washington Post continue to use Indian names without a second thought, I don't see where the Strib or any other third-tier rag gets off by adopting some moral "high ground" in such a half-ass manner.

Strib

This editoral pretty much sums up the Strib's myopic view of the issue. Apparently, only those Indians who oppose Indian nicknames have an opinion worthy of gracing the "illustrous" Strib's pages. :angry::glare: