SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaches Show

SiouxperFan

It is in the best interest of UND to be "compassionately ruthless" with the scholarship thing.  If a player is on-the-bubble as an incoming recruit (ex: a 40-50 pt scorer in the USHL) and does not give his absolute best every second on the ice, he should know that he will be replaced.

This program is about success.  We want to lead the nation in championships.  In order to do that, you can't babysit guys who don't perform.  It's not the 70's anymore.

Originally posted by Drop The Puck

What is ironic is the fact that you don't seem to feel the need to challenge anything I said. That tells me that you aren't the least bit ashamed that your coach has little or not committment to the kids he brings in. Unless they "live up to expectations" then they are just fodder for any other kid that the coach decides is more worthy of the scholarship? If that is what your coach is about then I'm sorry for any kid that plays for him regardless of their own particular level of talent. Go ahead and pile up the championships at the expense of kids that thought there was some measure of an implied agreement when they got recruited.

Any kid that goes to play for Dean Blais gets what he deserves. If nobody comes behind him that has more potential to live up to lofty expectations then the experience that kid has will be fine. Marginal kids in your coaches eyes aren't worthy of his efforts to develop their skills. Coaching in NCAA sports should be about enhancing the student-athlete's experience not just about winning championships at all expense. Happy with your Bobby Knight? Good for you then. I tend to think that disciples of Knight's twisted vision of coaching aren't worth p!ssing on if they were on fire.

In case any of you have seen this, this was posted on USCHO, this is what some of UND fans have been fighting and listening too all season, its called jealousy/program envy, ( I liken it to being part of the Oakland Raiders/Dallas Cowboys/Miami Hurricanes programs) everyone hates us or is jealous of our hockey program and some extent our other sports programs because we ussally kick everyone's @$$ and thats fine.

JK pretty much had a retort of DTP that was priceless/awesome totally awesome, it was priceless because it was so true, sad thing is that I had forgotten all about the 1997 team and the fact that it had a lot of players no one wanted (Smurfs I believe was what they were called), they were too small and know one knew who they were, nobody wanted them. In fact I had forgotten some of the points until he brought them up again.

From time to time when I am feeling down I watch the UND 1997 and 2000 NCAA title games, they just seem to bring up good memories. Last spring My wife when were moving asked me if I wanted to throw the tapes of the NCAA title games

Where people get confused is that they think that Blais drops guys from the team because he can find someone better.

That I don't buy.  I will agree that I did not like to see Oleary, Hasbargen, etc cut this year.  However, had we not ended up so short handed last year with injuries, those guys probably would not have made the team then.  And I believe they were mostly walk-ons?  

But you are all right.  Blais talks about how players can develop if they come to UND and that is an advantage over other programs who expect you to be good all the time.  jk gave several great examples of this.  Skarp is another.  

I believe when guys get cut is because they couldn't make the team from the start, or else they cut themselves.  In the real world, when I have to fire someone, I don't fire them, they fire themselves.  They know what is expected of them.  If they don't meet it, they are warned and told what they need to do to remain a member of the "team".  If they don't choose to do those things, I hire someone else.  I think it is a pretty apt analogy.

I would like to know what Blais comments are about how the team was playing in the second period of Sat. game.  I was not proud of our team then.  The big fight didn't bother me, but the guys were showing a season of frustration and I have seen enough of Canady swinging his stick to last a 4 year career.  And Lundbohm did it too.  the team was generally playing cheap.

Coaches show

Didn't really get into a lot of things tonight. Talked about the playoff scenario and how Denver was 6th place last year with a young team and is now in first place. Could be cool if UND could do the same thing next season.

Dean talked around who was going to play in goal. I guess I would say pick em.

Everyone is healthy except Ryan Connelly which we all knew he was done for the year. Everyone else is supposed to be in good health.

Coach Blais said UND is going to forecheck and be in their face all night. They have been working on clogging up in front of the Denver net.

Talked about the Fight (barely) said Rory McMahn didn't really know he was in a fight until he was hit three times. I didn't see the fight so I can't comment on it personally. Coach Blais said he is going to bring up the fighting rule at the NCAA meeting this spring, because Blais says the WCHA rule is tougher than the NCAA rule. I agree with that too. I hope they can get it changed, I believe that Woog was the one tha pushed for this rule originally...

Not much more said...

Go Fighting Sioux...

And Minny's budget problems and why they don't travel out

of the WCHA. Made me kinda feel sorry for them. :)

Ok, I heard that too but I don't understand how a Big Ten School can't afford to travel out of town. I think that is a lump of crap if you ask me. Cake eaters can't travel because there athletic teams are in the red. Oh well...