SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Officiating Rumor

redwing77

Ok folks,

Not sure if everyone has heard this, but the officiating for the WCHA COULD change in the near future! According to a source who works directly with the WCHA heads, the WCHA is talking to the NHL about having the WCHA as a "farm system" for the NHL's referees.

I am not sure what this means for existing officials, though I hope that a certain few of them are handed a beautiful pink slip and the Herald's classified section. :blush: I figure with this method, good refs like Campion will become more common and poor officiating less so.

One can only hope!

They could take high school refs and get better results than what we've seen the past couple of years. When you have fans wearing shirts that say "Die Derek Sheppard" :blush: there must have been more than a few bad calls. (gopher fan at the final five... I thought Sheppard loved the gophers? He sure isn't a Sioux fan...)

Anyway... how many times did Blaise go on the coaches show and publicly say what kind of crappy reffing was going on? He didn't give a damn about any fines, either. When a "classy" coach like Blaise is complaining, there's something to complain about! I say bring on the "farmers"! :D

Why does the WCHA need to be a NHL ref farm team. Doesnt the AHL serve in that respect already, granted I think the better ref talent could be beneficial.

SARCASTIC SOAPBOX AHEAD----DO NOT TAKE SERIOUSLY!! :0

I think the WCHA should make a commitment to bring in international refs who dont know a thing about US college hockey. Some of the WCHA refs are too close to some schools and it shows in the games. In a trial if the Judge has any relationship to either party he must recuse himself due to a risk of biasing the decision. The same should go with College hockey, what does Ref Vitaly Flamenchencko from Vladivostok care about college hockey. It would be nice and fair, plus the ref wouldnt be able to understand when the coaches bitch them out. :blush:

It might just be crazy enough to work! :D

ANYTHING that improves the reffing is good IMO...I have said for years to get lower level NHL type refs and actually PAY them for the job they would end up doing, maybe we could get some good refs then...

FYI, Gopher fans hate Sheppard as much if not more than most fans! The head tool is all he is!

WPoS

FYI, Gopher fans hate Sheppard as much if not more than most fans!

That's a...

STATEMENT

The hatred at REA runs pure and deep. Although we haven't made shirts... yet! :p

WPoS... how's the toe? :blush::D

It would be nice and fair, plus the ref wouldnt be able to understand when the coaches bitch them out. 

TOO FUNNY!!! :D:0;)

WPoS... how's the toe? :D  ;)

How the heck did you know about that?!?!? Actually, I think I can be back skating for the next POI game on Wed, beyond that, my advice is: don't drop kegs on them...it hurts! :blush: But on a good note, Handyman got his! :0

WPoS

Hey you leave my shaved head out of this! Of note: I still have more hair than Greg Sheppard :blush:

Man my head itched hardcore yesterday...damn 5 o'clock shadow!!

The only refs I truly hate are Adam and Mason. I mean seriously, try and make it less obvious who you are trying to help out. Oh what, Tech is losing, better call a bunch of penalties on Minnesota now to even it up! What, I screwed up the call, well the nexttime someone breathes call a penalty to make up for it! What, the player is lying on the ice, is Matt Demarchi on the ice...he is, well... (as his hand goes up to call the roughing)

note: Matt would never hurt a flea! A hockey player sure, but never a flea :D

What, the player is lying on the ice, is Matt Demarchi on the ice...he is, well... (as his hand goes up to call the roughing)

note: Matt would never hurt a flea! A hockey player sure, but never a flea :blush:

I'm sorry to break the news to you Handy... Demarchi is no Angel. Just like Greene did for the Sioux this year he has played in a manner that attracts the refs attention. I would be willing to guarentee that at the beginning of the season Demarchi took some stupid penalies and might have gone overboard and the refs remember that all season long. It don't think that the refs dont talk to eachother.

Greene did the same thing, he went overboard on the physicality early in the year and got the refs attention. Its just the way it is. There are also players on teams that can get away with Murder simply because they know the art of timing and doing things when the refs are not looking.

flatspin,

Did you hear that "whoosh" that was the point of my post going RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD! :D

Did you not get what I meant by "Matt would never hurt a flea, a hockey player but not a flea" comment? Perhaps I needed to put a few more emoticons in the post so you would get it. :D;):0:blush:

To make a long story short...I WAS BEING SARCASTIC!!!