SiouxSports.com Forum

Online Petition to Keep the Sioux Name

Keepthename

Again no offense or disrespect intended but the majority of SS.com members who support the name have done so for several years now via letters, emails, donations to the lawsuit, etc. Those in charge know how we feel. Sending a petition is not going to change the direction this train is speeding toward.

I'm one of the biggest supporters of the Fighting Sioux name and logo and it pains me to say it but the name and logo will soon be a thing of the past. :)

Again no offense or disrespect intended but the majority of SS.com members who support the name have done so for several years now via letters, emails, donations to the lawsuit, etc. Those in charge know how we feel. Sending a petition is not going to change the direction this train is speeding toward.

I'm one of the biggest supporters of the Fighting Sioux name and logo and it pains me to say it but the name and logo will soon be a thing of the past. :)

I agree with you the people's support we need is from the Standing Rock tribe.

I agree with you the people's support we need is from the Standing Rock tribe.

It sounds like we do but that the challenge is getting some resolution for a vote in front of the tribal council. I am sure RHHIT is pressing Goetz to hurry up and do it in order to take pressure off. Loser.

It sounds like we do but that the challenge is getting some resolution for a vote in front of the tribal council. I am sure RHHIT is pressing Goetz to hurry up and do it in order to take pressure off. Loser.

If you read the DS op ed from 3/28/2008 I would appear that there seems to be a movement a foot to address it.

If you read the DS op ed from 3/28/2008 I would appear that there seems to be a movement a foot to address it.

Maybe I'm too much of a pollyanna but I wonder if there's any chance of getting it to a vote before Goetz takes out his cleaver. I would hope that there are some of the alumni working with Mr. Fool Bear and others to actually get it to a vote. We have 3 years and it seems like Goetz just wants to use the new president as an excuse to get it over with quickly. Don't these people realize the problems that will be caused by just handing down a fiat decided by only a few people? I think everyone would be a lot more accepting of a nickname change if it actually went to a vote and both tribes decided against it. All one needs to do is look at Dartmouth to see how well "we three kings have decided" kind of policy does.

Maybe I'm too much of a pollyanna but I wonder if there's any chance of getting it to a vote before Goetz takes out his cleaver. I would hope that there are some of the alumni working with Mr. Fool Bear and others to actually get it to a vote. We have 3 years and it seems like Goetz just wants to use the new president as an excuse to get it over with quickly. Don't these people realize the problems that will be caused by just handing down a fiat decided by only a few people? I think everyone would be a lot more accepting of a nickname change if it actually went to a vote and both tribes decided against it. All one needs to do is look at Dartmouth to see how well "we three kings have decided" kind of policy does.

Seems as if the ONLY people that matter is RHHT and a small number of people think. Unless he is voted out of office or get the Standing Rock to take a vote of ALL their members the point is mute.

it's a done deal already...the name will change...an on-line petition will be about as useful as a kleenex in a hurricane. I'm just getting really tired of defending the pro-nickname arguement because it's falling on deaf and blind PC ears. We will move on and have the same great winning tradition we always have...remember...it's UND hockey! North Dakota FIRST! WE WILL SURVIVE!

Seems as if the ONLY people that matter is RHHT and a small number of people think. Unless he is voted out of office or get the Standing Rock to take a vote of ALL their members the point is mute.

I love tho, how the standing rock gave us their blessing, in the '30's was it? Now they want to go against their word, very sad imo, you don't give a gift and take it back.....as it pertains to the offensive nature of the nickname, I don't see or hear anywhere during our games that it is used in a offensive way, I always see us honoring their tradition, as honorable and courageous warriors, if that is offensive....god help us all.

The name is an honor, every time I put on and of my Sioux apparel I feel proud! We are honoring the ancestors of these people by using them as the symbol of our university, how can that be offensive. I think everyone should forward this link to every Sioux Alum and student they know and encourage them to do the same, this will at least show some proactive support to the people that will decide our fate. How anyone got it in their head that it is offensive to be a mascot has to be out of their mind, it as a symbol of pride for people to rally around whats offense in that"?

Let it go we can still have a Fighting Sioux Club, we can still cheer for the Sioux. The NCAA is too powerful it will hurt us too much in scheduling and hosting to draw a line in the sand. Let it go officially and then we pick up the challenge of keeping it alive unofficially.

Rather than start up a new thread, I'll respond to the most recent posting.

Congrats on getting to the Final Four. I'd say most of Chicago would have been Sioux fans on Saturday-as it was, they were BC fans.

I read the posting about how a youngster got the goalie's stick after the last game and the player actually visited him at home. Obviously there's a huge difference between the schools that are located within large cities and those in small towns-seems to me this is one of them.

And from a different thread within this forum: Chicago is death on cougars.

:silly:

Okay, the full story: a cougar was shot within city limits tonight. They're going to check it out on the chance that someone put a microchip under the cat's skin. Now if someone did that, I'd have to nominate him for dumbest criminal of the month.