SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA vs. CCHA

Siouxtimestwo

Bragging rights are one of the fun things about being a sports fan. My point is, the tournament is coming up, so our team has a chance to beat CCHA teams, then we can brag. If all we can brag about is how our rivals beat teams from the CCHA, what in the hell are we bragging about? How does St. Cloud beating Michigan in the regional give us as Sioux fans anything to brag about?

Not the way the NCAA stacked the Sioux's bracket.

I think it's something to brag about when you're the best of the best!

I completly agree with all of that. Getting to the Frozen Four isnt what its all about. Not even just to the championship game. You have to be in it to win it and 2nd place is just the 1st loser. The only thing i dislike about the NCAA's is the 1 n done format. So yes you have to "usually" play the best teams to win it all but there is alot of luck involved in a 1 n done format because the best "team" doesnt always win.

Totally agree. That's why we hang banners in the Ralph when the Sioux win the NCAA title, not when Minnesota, Wisconsin, Denver, or CC do so.

Kind of off the topic, but I was at the BC/UND game this year and when I was walking around the arena I noticed that BC had on display NCAA runner-up and semi-finalist trophies, I didn't even know they gave those away. I wonder what UND does when they get them; my guess is they place them in a box in some obscure corner in a basement where no one will ever find them. HA.

I think this issue comes down to a few factors:

1. CCHA teams, for the most part, are further East than WCHA teams. The closer to Bristol, CT and New England (for reasons I'm not entirely sure other than ESPN is in Bristol), the more closely they are watched.

2. CCHA has more big schools. The WCHA, for big schools, have UW and UMN. The rest are medium to small schools (including the media-irrelevant schools in Alaska). The CCHA has more big schools period. They have Notre Dame, Michigan, MSU, and tOSU. I don't know how big Miami is, but regardless, there is only really one "small" school in the CCHA and it is a "media-irrelevant" school in Fairbanks. To the media, big school = big press.

3. The CCHA is incredibly top heavy. I think more so than any other major DI hockey conference. When Michigan is good, they often are FAR better than anyone in the CCHA, even if it doesn't exactly match up with other conferences. Since (my bias showing here) it is more than likely a team like UAA, on any given night, could beat all but the best CCHA teams, this implies that it is somewhat of a lesser conference among WCHA fans. Disregarding tradition entirely, I believe the closest conference competitively to the WCHA is not the CCHA, but rather Hockey East. Though rather subpar from top to bottom, the ECACHL seems to be the most level of playing fields, in my opinion, outside of the WCHA.

My two cents.

Add to that the playoff flops by other CCHA teams in recent years such as Miami (OH), Notre Dame and (yes) Michigan and you start to get the picture on how overrated the Crappy Collegiate Hockey Association really is.

Hmnnnnnnn...this thread got awfully quiet this morning...

Not the way the NCAA stacked the Sioux's bracket.

I think it's something to brag about when you're the best of the best!

It doesn't look like UND will get a crack at a CCHA team unless they get to the frozen four.

Since the Sioux game thread(where I'd like to post) isn't up yet, I'm just wondering if anyone is devastated about the tournament so far, even though the Sioux have yet to play?

The only team I care about really is my team. I am disappointed that SCSU was afraid to get it's jerseys pressed and plays like a bunch of pretty boys but I am not devastated. Like I said I care about the Sioux only...