SiouxSports.com Forum

Article in the Student

dagies

There is an article in this weeks Dakota Student online regarding some letters sent to a couple of professors who are against the Sioux nickname.

http://www.UND.nodak.edu/org/ds/#sports

I think what they received is terrible.  However, I think it is misleading for Ganje to make this statement

"While it is troubling to get something like this, it happens more often to American Indian students on campus," Ganje said. "I think some people could say I got the letter because of my work, but I think, ultimately, I got the letter because we use the name."

I don't think the nickname caused this person to act this way.  But this ignorant person acted this way because he doesn't want the name to be changed.  To try and blame the name for this behavior turns the name into a mechanism for evil, if you will.   If you make that case, no wonder American Indians want it changed.  But I feel this is the big lie in this debate.  

The nickname is not causing people to act this way.

It's easy and convenient to blame the Sioux nickname on any number of ills, e.g., poverty, diesase, alcoholism and idiotic letters.  And if you follow that logic, changing the name would suddenly eliminate those ills, and acne too.  :)

Ganje should spend more time teaching instead of hanging around SCCC and promoting her own agenda, unless she's actively looking for another job.  I wouldn't be surprised if she sent them just to keep her and her "cause" in the light.