SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey in Grand Forks

dagies

Speaking of hockey in Grand Forks, is the GF/EGF area cranking out more top notch D1 players than any other area, per capita? Or at least comparable?

I haven't looked into any data on where kids are coming from but to look at the list of top D1 players from this area (current players or committed to programs):

Bina, Robbie - UND

Eickman, Mike - UNO

Fuher, Nick - UND

Gasparini, Joey - Vermont

Howe, Scott - Air Force

Lamoureux, Phillippe - UND

Moreland, Jake - SCSU

Metcalf, Nate - MSUM

Palmiscno, Tyler - UND

Potulny, Grant - MN

Potulny, Ryan - MN

Schneider, Andy - UND

Ziegelmann, Nate - UND

I think I might be missing a name or 2 as well.

It seems like quite a list for a population center that is not huge. Or am I all wet.

Also, considering Moreland, Moreland, Ziegelman, Lamoureux are all goaltenders, what does that say for goaltender development in town?

Yes Dagies how about that Garrett Larson kid for St. Cloud and that

kid who is tranferring from Lake Superior State. I think both of them are

from North Dakota as well if I am not mistaken.

To be clear, I'm only counting guys from GF/EGF.

Is Garret Larson from there?

Chad Dahlen, who you refer to is from Devil's Lake I think? So doesn't count.

Mike Eickman has committed to UN-Omaha for next year as well...

I added him to the list above

If we countd both guys and girls that play Div. 1, we would come up with a few more, I think 5. There's 2 on the women's team here, although one didn't play for academic reasons, there's a goalie on the St. Cloud team, a forward on the Harvard team, and a defensemen on the Vermont team. Not too shabby for the girls in addition to the boys!

This is a good thread. I've long wondered about this. I've always thought Grand Forks has an unusually high number of DI players per capita...especially for a city in a State not considered a hockey powerhouse (like Minn, Mich, or Mass).

I think determining a player's "hometown" is increasingly becoming a more difficult propostion. One's "hometown" can be a slippery and subjective concept. For example, Brady Murray lists his home town as "Brandon, MB" but has never really played organized hockey there. Zach Parise lists his hometown as Faribault but I believe grew up playing in the Bloomington system. Tyler Hirsch lists his hometown as Bloomington, even though he played high school at SSM in Faribault. The Eaves brothers at B.C. also list their hometown as Faribault, but I don't know how long they actually lived there. On the Lincoln Stars webpage, Dan Irmen lists his hometown as Fargo, not Grand Forks.

Bismarck has lately been sending some kids to UND with Massen and Sedevie coming. Wasn't Pivetz from there as well? I could be wrong. Does anyone know of upcoming Bismarck kids or for that matter the state of North Dakota kids that have D-1 potential that WILL come to Grand Forks and not Minneapolis. We have got stop that pipeline.

Pivetz was Canadian. Mitch Vig is from Bismarck. So was Theel (Notre Dame) and Peluso (Duluth). There were a few other Bismarck kids that played out east.

Jacob Hipp is playing for Shattuck and is very good. Hopefully, he will go to UND.

Great info. Thanks!

GO SIOUX!

Chad Dahlen, who you refer to is from Devil's Lake I think? So doesn't count.

I'm not one to comment on spelling, but to set the record straight-- it's Devils Lake. No apostrophe. It's my hometown and the apostrophe thing drives me nuts.... probably akin to saying "Grands Fork" or something. ;)

And yes, Dahlen is a former Satan.

I'm not one to comment on spelling, but to set the record straight-- it's Devils Lake. No apostrophe. It's my hometown and the apostrophe thing drives me nuts.... probably akin to saying "Grands Fork" or something. ;)

And yes, Dahlen is a former Satan.

Thanks for clarifying. I'll try to remember that.

More than one Devil. That's bad luck.... :huh:

Isn't that "Blazer" .... , er, I mean "Firebird"? ;):D

I'm still in denial.... go firebirds. :huh: but if you want to get really technical about it, Dahlen attended DLHS before the name change.

Just doesn't have the same appeal as a crowd of people chanting "Satans! Satans! Satans!" and being able to tell opposing teams "welcome to hell."