SiouxSports.com Forum

Does reg. season winning get boring?

No doubt the women bball team there is a great team and coach Roebuck knows how to motivate them, but...

don't you think the players, fans and coaches would like to have a season where there are really tough challenges week in and week out?? After all, thats what life is all about, problem after problem, deal with it, solve it, defeat it. So I think you will be much happier in D1 where you will have some really tough games.

No doubt the women bball team there is a great team and coach Roebuck knows how to motivate them, but...

don't you think the players, fans and coaches would like to have a season where there are really tough challenges week in and week out?? After all, thats what life is all about, problem after problem, deal with it, solve it, defeat it. So I think you will be much happier in D1 where you will have some really tough games.

This is the single dumbest thing I have ever read on this board. Are you seriously wondering if we want a season where the Sioux play a bunch of close games and lose some or have another 1 or 2 loss regular season?

Does Roebuck sometimes after games wonder to himself "Gee, that was sure fun winning by 20 tonight, but maybe next week we can keep the game a bit closer. Even if we lose its not a big deal, because at least we'll have a challenge." Do the players want to lose some games, just to keep the suspense in it? Or would they rather work hard and play as well as they can and win by 20?

The absurdity of your post astounds me, and I honestly hope you think about what you're saying the next time you decide to post something because it is quite evident you didn't do that for this one.

Just trying to get you ready for a reality check. No way would you back off and try loose a few, Id never expect that, but be ready for the get ur butt kicked regular season games like you will experience in D1.

I would like our first experience to be your beloved bovine friends...oh...but I guess we are supposed to get our butts kicked so that would rule that "challenge" out. Perhaps Ms. Ruley would consider putting us on her schedule next year so we could give it our best effort! :silly:

The Bison women have improved alot since last season when they would have been lucky to finish in the top 5 in the NCC, but I still don't think they are ready to match up with UND women yet. When NDSU went D1 I thought their women's team would make a pretty easy transition but they skidded right off the track.

The Bison women have improved alot since last season when they would have been lucky to finish in the top 5 in the NCC, but I still don't think they are ready to match up with UND women yet. When NDSU went D1 I thought their women's team would make a pretty easy transition but they skidded right off the track.

I think many folks (Bison fans and otherwise) thought that as well but I'm not sure if those expectations are realistic. Two successful programs that jumped from Division Two to Division One in the mid 1990s didn't achieve great success until almost a decade later. Southeast Mizzouri State, who lost to the Bison in the Division II national championship game jumped up the next year into the Ohio Valley Conference. Back then the transition period from D II to D I was two years instead of five. It wasn't until 2002-2003 that SEMO finished above 4th in the conference. Lately they've put in a good run in the OVC.

Portland State was a mainstay in the Division II national tourney in the early 1990s. They jumped to the Big Sky immediately upon tranisitioning to Division One (which is not a strong women's basketball conference outside of the Montana Grizzly), and only once have they finished in the top 5in the conference.

I believe South Dakota State's success is much more the exception than the rule for schools moving up to the next level. I don't know how much the Jackrabbit's YEAR ONE schedule of primarily Division One opponents played into being able to recruit strong players who were willing to help see SDSU through the 5 year transition. From a fans perspective, I think watching your team play Division One teams as opposed to a meshed schedule of Division Two and Lower teams in your first year of transition would be more exciting even though the team might lose quite a few games.