12 Chris King Alaska Anchorage SO 420 57 .881

13 Kevin Reiter Alaska Anchorage SO 449 63 .877

14 Cam Ellsworth Michigan Tech FR 734 114 .866

15 Brian Rogers Michigan Tech JR 355 62 .851

Here is how UND young guys shaped up.

Gm  Rec    GA    GAA    SV %

Jake Brandt,     12   4-4-0  31  3.23    .902

Josh Siembida, 12    5-6-1  39  3.63    .887

A few years ago, this league had some titans in the nets in Goehring, Meyer and Melanson.  Not titans in stature but in their play.  Even though Dubie and a few others had fine seasons, I don't think the level of play at that position is back to where it was.

Denver:  If Dubie's back, best in the league.  If not, Berkoel is still among the best.  However, how he reacts to being "the man" remains to be seen.

SCSU:  The Weasel is gone.  Moreland is back, and he will probably be fine.  Helping him will be a big group of experienced defensemen.

MN:  Subtract one headcase.  Return two talented sophomores, neither of whom stepped up to claim the job this year when it was available.  Big question mark that may turn out fine.

CC:  Sanger is gone.  McIlhenny returns.  He was highly touted, but is still a question mark at this point.

Wisconsin:  Kabatoff and Bruckler both return.  This tandem will be near the top of the league in quality, and the Badgers will need that.

MSU:  Return Pateman, Volp and Jensen, all of whom are at least decent.  Not as big a question as most league teams have.

UAA:  Return Reiter and King.  Whether that's a good thing remains to be seen.

UMD and MTU:  I'm too tired of typing to look into it.

UND:  Kollar leaves, which is too bad since he seems to have found his game.  Both Siembida and Brandt showed flashes of fine play, but faded down the stretch, especially Siembida.  The Siembida that started the season, so confident and solid, seemed gone by the end of the year.  Even though MN looked awesome in Siembida's last game, he still was absent from the net on a few of those goals.  I hope an offseason of work, practicing with the team from the start of the season, and a little better team in front of him will help him be the good goaltender I think he can be.  Brandt looked pretty good to me in the second half of the year, but he must be doing something wrong because he can't seem to get into the lineup.  I have seen differing reports on whether Sedevie is coming in 2002 or 2003.  All in all, no other team in the league has a more uncertain goaltending situation than the Sioux.  Someone may step up, and things would be fine.  But it could turn into another tough year as well.

From strictly looking at numbers, I hope Sedevie stays another year.  He is near last place in the USHL.

Sedevie, Layne       SF    21  1130:38    3.56  10    5    2    1   0   2   6  67   609    0.901

He ranks 20th in GAA and about 14th in saves %.

I think, unless Blais thinks either Siembida or Brandt is going to be able to step up they need to find another option.

Looks like Denver and  WI will have the top goaltending next year.

MN could be in the top group, depending on how their 2 guys round out.

Even UND could be in the top 5.  Hard to say.

Moreland wasn't that great at the end of the season.  None of the other names on the list scare me that much.  Will be interesting to see how new goaltenders to the WCHA figure into the top goalies during the season.

dagies:

Let me play Devil's Advocate. Trust me, I'm good at it.

Sedevie has faced 676 shots (69 goals, 609 saves). He's played 1130 minutes. If you calculate shots faced per game (total shots faced/total minutes * 60 minutes per game) you see that he sees 36 shots per game.

Here's what some of the USHL GAA leaders are facing:

Name Shots/Gm

Magers 22

Vicari 23

Goepfert 32

Lamoureux 28

Franck 31

Ziegelman 27

Would some of those league leader GAAs inflate and save percentage come down if those guys had to face five to fifteen more shots per game?

Sedevie is a solid goaltender. Currently he's a victim of SF's tendency to forget to play defence.

I'd like to see Layne come in now. If he's better than Siembida and Brandt, great! If not, he can redshirt and still face high quality shots. Either way, the additional competition would be a positive.

If you do a compare ratios and and assume that the other goaltenders each faced 36 shots per game:

Magers 2.68

Vicari   2.71

Goepfert  2.30

Lamoureux  3.05

Franck 2.80

Ziegelman 3.39

Well, it looks better but it still strikes me that his numbers are not outstanding.  Solid maybe, but I wonder if a solid USHL goaltender will be good enough to be a difference maker at the D-1 level?

However, we know he was injured a fair share of the year.  Question is, how much did that affect his play?

dagies, it's the Devil's Advocate here again.

Your numbers include the assumption that the save percentage for Magers, Vicari, et al, would stay the same even as the number of shots they faced per game increased. I'd bet against that.

I'm interested in a strong competition for the goaltending position. If it's Sofie, Brandt, and Siembida you know who the top two are already.