SiouxSports.com Forum

Canadian Schools in NCAA

bigsioux21

I could see that happening (killing travel budgets) UBC isn't a short trip and would probably require some red tape getting through customs.

I know a guy that works US customs from around here. He now works out of the Edmonton airport. He said he checks out the Oilers hockey team all the time. I told him Matt Greene was one of ours.

It would kill all the travel budgets in the CHA.

youre going to have to pick your poison millsy. i feel for you and the bsu program, i do. i would love nothing more than to be able to add the bemidji road trip to my winter schedule, but since the wcha is extending their moritorium on expansion, its either lose the d1 program, or embrace new teams to keep the cha a vialble league, whatever that may entail. i think adding the canadian schools to the cha is a great thing for your conference and college hockey as a whole gets another full, legit conference. the travel may not be ideal, but it is what it is, as college hockey expands, so will the travel. however it works out, i hope the sioux keep scheduling you guys, it is a fun series to watch.

It was approved last week to allow Canadian Schools into the NCAA. There were a total of six schools wanting in (all wanting to play hockey). Four have publicly said they want to and two haven't, my guess of the other two is below. What are your feelings?

The schools are:

(1) St. Clair College

(2) University of British Columbia

(3) Univeristy of Alberta

(4) Simon Fraser University

(5) University of Manitoba (maybe)

(6) Univeristy of Saskatchewan (maybe)

To my knowledge both Manitoba and Saskatchewan (as well as Winnipeg U, Brandon U, and Regina U etc) have no plans to move to the NCAA. They would not save nearly as much on travel as UBC and Simon Fraser, which would likely move to the DII Great Northwest Conference with Alaska, Washington, and Oregon teams for all their sports except hockey. (Simon Fraser does not have hockey.) Alberta would probably seek out the GNC also, as well as the WCHA with UBC.

The other school that's most interesting though is Lakehead, which is in Thunder Bay. I'm sure Lakehead would love to get in the WCHA and the Northern Sun (but without football that might be tough). Ryerson is in Toronto, so they'd probably want in the ECAC, Atlantic Hockey or maybe even the CHA. St. Clair originally wanted into DIII to be part of a Michigan league, but if the went DII, perhaps the GLIAC for all sports and the CHA.

NCAA Grass May not be so Kelly Green

Delise O Meally, director of NCAA membership services, said the parameters of the project still need to be finalized, but said there is a possibility that Canadian schools can begin the provisional membership process as early as September.

According to O Meally six Canadian institutions have expressed interest in the possibility of entering the NCAA.

They include: Simon Fraser University, University of British Columbia, University of Alberta, Lakehead University, Ryerson University, and St. Clair College in Windsor, Ont.[/]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_William_Gardens

The largest hockey arena in Thunder Bay is probably not up to WCHA standards, but it appears the city of Thunder Bay is considering a new arena.

To my knowledge both Manitoba and Saskatchewan (as well as Winnipeg U, Brandon U, and Regina U etc) have no plans to move to the NCAA. They would not save nearly as much on travel as UBC and Simon Fraser, which would likely move to the DII Great Northwest Conference with Alaska, Washington, and Oregon teams for all their sports except hockey. (Simon Fraser does not have hockey.) Alberta would probably seek out the GNC also, as well as the WCHA with UBC.

The other school that's most interesting though is Lakehead, which is in Thunder Bay. I'm sure Lakehead would love to get in the WCHA and the Northern Sun (but without football that might be tough). Ryerson is in Toronto, so they'd probably want in the ECAC, Atlantic Hockey or maybe even the CHA. St. Clair originally wanted into DIII to be part of a Michigan league, but if the went DII, perhaps the GLIAC for all sports and the CHA.

NCAA Grass May not be so Kelly Green

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_William_Gardens

The largest hockey arena in Thunder Bay is probably not up to WCHA standards, but it appears the city of Thunder Bay is considering a new arena.

Thanks for finding that out i tried forever the other day to no avail....

Thanks for finding that out i tried forever the other day to no avail....

No problem. Lakehead and Ryerson had not been widely publicized as being interested. Some time ago, I had speculated that Manitoba and Saskatchewan might go the NCAA route. But those schools are too Canadian-centric in their viewpoint.

Lakehead and the possibility DI hockey might sense because it's so far from any other Canadian school - Mn-Duluth is the closest school - Thunder Bay needs a hockey team that the hockey-mad populace can follow - and needs the Canadian media attention.

Ryerson in Toronto is overshadowed by other area schools in Toronto (U of Toronto), so an NCAA move would set it apart.